what connection might Tekton 7 tweeter's array use ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are you using for a midrange? Are you making a real line array, or just putting some speakers in a line? A real line array requires at least the mid range of existing in a line that is 70% or above of the height of the wall to the ceiling, for the array to couple with the floor and produce nearfield listening.

How much do you want to pay? While Jim Griffin has decanted that you can actually hear comb filter distortion above 10,000 hz, I have heard people say that the system felt like it “ran out of air”.

More questions than you want.

Have you read Jim Griffin, PhD’s line array white paper? But with jore than 5500 posts here since 2005(just 4 months after me), I suspect you really know more about this than you are letting on. ��

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This tweeter array just seems strange to me. With all those tweeters running at over 1/4 wl apart there have to be some weird combing effects.

It does get good reviews.

dave

Attachments

• Tekton-tweeter-array.jpg
    Tekton-tweeter-array.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 172
This tweeter array just seems strange to me. With all those tweeters running at over 1/4 wl apart there have to be some weird combing effects.

It does get good reviews.

dave

That’s not an array; its a conglomeration. People seem go confuse any group of speakers as an array, when its either just a line or a conglomeration. To avoid comb filter distortion, they would need to be much closer to together. The look a little like Dayton ND20FA’s but I guess they are not. Those can have the flanges cut to .84 CTC distance, and eliminate any possible comb filter to above 15Khz. While may not be able to hear the combing, it has been described by people as a "lack of air”.

Joined 2011
would it be two paralleled groups of three -4 ohm rated tweeters each in series for
dcr ~9 ohms per group and the 7th tweeter isolated with an additional high crossover ?

I wouldn't be surprised if the tweeters are all in parallel. He uses a series crossover,
with a resistor in place of the usual capacitor that is in parallel with the woofer.
There's still a capacitor directly in series with the tweeters, though.

The manufacturer calls them an array.

And an array as far as the Miriam-Webster definition:

dave

I don’t believe that either Mirriam or Webster ever made speakers, or that they even existed back them. We need a speaker dictionary.

Manufacturers sell products and while the tech guys know, the marketing guys/gals who names these things, don’t know cr@p.

IMO, we should all try to be accurate, though its not always possible, I understand.

Bigun

Yep, the central driver is the only true tweeter in the array.

There is precedent, so not quite sure how well the patent would hold up. I think ADS a long time ago, and more recently Sony have done an "inverted" 2.5 way speaker. Meaning it spreads the midrange among 3 drivers, but only central is the "tweeter" which is similar, but in a line instead of a circular array.

Best,

E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.