Saturated low pass inductor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks guys!

I don't usually do passive crossovers but a while ago I wondered what actually happens in a saturated crossover coil and after wasting an afternoon searching I couldn't find anything with a practical explanation much beyond 'it's bad' and 'best avoided' I thought this is the place to satisfy my curiosity.
And it is! :)

Intertechnik HQ43/45 5.6 mH inductor - saturation

This is the data I have measured since manufacturer mentioned nothing in that respect. I could hear the 100 Hz buzz when the current became high enough.

Attachments

• Intertechnik HQ43-45 5.6mH saturation.png
    Intertechnik HQ43-45 5.6mH saturation.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 123
REW is excellent for all-electric measurements (including those rarely posted measurements called "distortion").

For example, you could simply do a Real Time Analysis (RTA) and see what odd frequencies are showing up.

You might need to locate a cable that is RCA-to-alligator clips, unless you already own a bunch. And you need to keep the signal to the ADC under a volt using a voltage divider.

BTW, you should never do acoustic measurements until you've verified that the electric signal is healthy. Any time I've checked my MacBook, the noise, THD, and freq response have been exceptional. And ancient cheap DAC ($4 from Salvation Army store). And my Behringer DCX2496 DSP. And USB to SPDIF converter. And 35 yr old amps. And all of them lined up in series too.

B.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.