driver suggestions for 5" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have recently built a clone of the Nola Brio Trio speakers and really enjoyed them. I then started thinking about one of the bigger speakers that they make and how they might sound.

I have built something similar to the Nola Micro Reference. The original has a ribbon tweeter, a 4" full range in an open baffle configuration, and two 5" woofers in a ported enclosure for the low end.

I am currently playing around with two Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" for the top end (I have no ribbon tweeters yet). For the low end, I am using my 6" Seas driver from my LXmini speakers.

I have been using the MiniDSP to play with these a bit and they sound really good.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some reasonably priced 5" woofers that I might try in the bottom end and some ribbons for the top end (even though I like the Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2")?

Any other thoughts on these would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wendell

Attachments

• speaker2.jpg
    speaker2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 405
  • speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 406
Hi Wendell, I have always considered Peerless SDS woofers to be an extremely good buy, for the money, and what you could pull out of 5,25" in a 25 litre vented cabinet is astonishing. Two of those in parallel would do good for dynamic reserves and increased sensitivity. Among ribbon tweeters I find Beston and Fountek decent and the price is within reason.

Or, if the room placement can accommodate it, try a pair of the SDS in side mounted push-push. I've built a couple of pairs of 2-ways using multiples of the smaller 830870, and they never cease to amaze with the depth and volume of LF they can deliver.

As for ribbons, I don't have much experience there - unless you want to stretch your definition to the ESS AMT, which I consider one of the best HF transducers around.

If you like the TC9s, but want to try something a bit different, how about the TG9? Still very reasonably priced, and lets you keep the whole design in the Peerless / Vifa family. FWIW, I personally find them a bit more "engaging" than the paper - mind you, that's a characteristic that some folks eschew

Or, if the room placement can accommodate it, try a pair of the SDS in side mounted push-push. I've built a couple of pairs of 2-ways using multiples of the smaller 830870, and they never cease to amaze with the depth and volume of LF they can deliver.

Or, try a Z frame. I did this with 8" woofers but it would work with other sizes as well. XRK was working on this and I tried it and liked it. It gets pretty low. I believe XRK measured his in the 30's. My measurements attached.

Attachments

• P1090160.JPG
    P1090160.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 349
  • alpha-6a_lineaum_3ft_mic_cab_edge.png
    alpha-6a_lineaum_3ft_mic_cab_edge.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 354
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Silver Flute W14, really quite a bargain, and fits a smaller box than the excellent Peerless 830870. The W14 fits in reflex enclosures 5-10 litres (or double that for 2). We use them in a push-push ML-TL that sims to 35 Hz (F10).

I also concur with Chris about the TG9 which i found considerably better than the TC9 (which i was very disappointed with). And there are even better small FR if you have a bigger budget.

dave

I'd get more of the H1480 L16RN-SL from the lxmini as they are extremely good on the low end. Great distortion performance as long as you don't massive xmax or need it to be cinema loud.

I'd steer away from pro midwoofers as they really aren't meant to handle bass. My 6nd430 for example which is advertised as a midwoofer optimized for low frequency is really a low midrange driver best kept to 200 hz and above.

Last edited:
A 5" woofer speaker is possibly the easiest speaker in the Universe. Most current drivers have a suitably low Qts around 0.3. H1216-08 CA15RLY

630047d1502591525-classic-monitor-designs-monitor-audio-ma7-jpg

No time-alignment problems worth mentioning.

Cone breakup with a 5" is going to be up around 8kHz, which is well down in level with the usual 3kHz crossover. It all comes down to the tweeter for quality. I do think you should have a big reflex box around 12-15L. Reflex just adds a deeper octave of bass, albeit slow.

This sort of speaker doesn't go tremendously loud or deep. Forget about it for Disco use. But pleasant in a bedroom.

A 5" woofer speaker is possibly the easiest speaker in the Universe. Most current drivers have a suitably low Qts around 0.3. H1216-08 CA15RLY

630047d1502591525-classic-monitor-designs-monitor-audio-ma7-jpg

No time-alignment problems worth mentioning.

Cone breakup with a 5" is going to be up around 8kHz, which is well down in level with the usual 3kHz crossover. It all comes down to the tweeter for quality. I do think you should have a big reflex box around 12-15L. Reflex just adds a deeper octave of bass, albeit slow.

This sort of speaker doesn't go tremendously loud or deep. Forget about it for Disco use. But pleasant in a bedroom.
Lol so a 6+1 is the devils work, but 5+1 is ok.

So... After some reading I see that it is not good to mix two different woofers in the same cabinet. I will just keep tweaking these city now.
Any suggestions on where to cross these? I am at 700 now. And can the woofer and the two full range speakers overlap each other? I have read that will cause a bump in frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.