Suggestions for build with 4 x Volt 2500.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am the new owner of 4 pieces of the above driver. Am looking for suggestions for a suitable enclosure within the constraints I have.

I intend to use them as bass drivers (not subs) ina 3 -way active set up and intially thought of cloning something like the Quested Q210. However, I now realise I do not have space for 2 x 150 liter speakers.

I have read the recommendations of several members whm have used this driver, and the consensus seesm to be that 70-75 litres tuned to 30-34hz is an ideal size.

I am thinking of mounting them isobaric (cone to cone), so I can use a 1/2 sized box. I am aware of the pros & cons of this, and am prepared to give it a try.

Any feedback on this? Also, how would the isobaric loading affect the port dimension? I read that the diameter should remain the same and the length doubled?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi. I'm not sure of the pros and cons of the isobaric design. The Quested Q210 has a crossover point of 600Hz to the Volt, and I'm wondering how this would work with the clamshell arrangement. Maybe there is a limit to the highest frequency crossover point with this arrangement as the magnet faces outward. Maybe in a smaller sealed enclosure with digital EQ to manage the upper bass bump, and Linkwitz transform the lower frequencies with the additional surface area of the 2 drivers?

Hello, I am missing the point why this has to be isobaric when you have perfectly good 60 litres for both of the woofers vented. Secondly, you should simulate parallel wiring of these two and check what happens with impedance once you add XO filter. Crossing at 250 ( quested 290 Hz) appears unrealistically low.

3 Way Monitor

One should count on this kind of a schematic to arrive at audiophile sound quality.

Attachments

• Monitor.png
    Monitor.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Enclosure.png
    Enclosure.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 180
Hi Lojzek and Charles Darwin. Thanks for your contributions.

With regards to the appropriate sixed box for these drivers, most of the designs using a single 2500.1 have a volume of around 70 litres (Quested v3110, Wilmslow Audio Encore, smaller REL subs), and speakers using 2 of them have a volume of 140-150litres (Quested Q210, larger REL subs).

Also diyaudio member "spd" who built speakers using this driver and the ATC mid dome recomended a box of 70-75 litres for a single 2500.1.

The Volt spec sheet recoomends the largest box size of 40 litres tuned to 34hz with a 7.5cm x 27cm port

Since I want to use all 4 drivers and cant afford the space for two 150 liter boxes, I thought of isobaric loading to cut the volume by 1/2.

BTW, I have already cut the front baffles 4 pieces each 50cm x 40 cm with a 10" cut out

Lojzek, is the xover shcematic you posted your own design? The frequency response looks amazingly flat! What box size and tuning did it use? Could I replicate it using an active crossover?

Any cheaper driver can be substituted for the Volt 752?

Yes, I made up this design myself and the tuning frequency you can see in impedance plot between two peaks in the woofer region. I don't see why you couldn't use any other cheaper driver. Each design has its own characteristic features and filter. Flatness of the response is theoretical without room influence. I don't know whether you could replicate it with an active XO. Give your best. I won't repeat myself in regard to enclosure volume and box loading.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Quick update to my thread.

I have bought a pair of Morel CAT 308 tweeters and a pair of Scanspeak 3" domes D7608/920010 for the mid and highs. Driver layout will be similiar to that of the ATC scm25a pro.
Will only be using 2 of the Volts for the moment.

One should count on this kind of a schematic to arrive at audiophile sound quality.

Now this design is very interesting.

Should be reasonably easy to adjust to accomodate 4 x 10" 2500.1 drivers?

I would then be interested in building this, Volt recommend a maximum of around 40 litres per driver, but will model it.

A 160 litre enclosure would be easy to accomodate.

Sub-bass then could then be acomplished by tuning the Volt RV4564 in ~300 litres.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.