2 way speakers sound great in stereo. Not so much in...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some 2 way speakers that sound really good in Stereo. an Identical speaker is in the center channel. It doesn't sound as good.Its more edgy and fatiguing.

Has anyone had this issue?

what should I be looking at?

same amp powers all, same drivers, everything is identical.

Hi, I only use straight mode, no surround modes.

but for testing I will sit in the main listening position and switch between stereo and straight and the vocals are so much smoother in phantom center vs actual center.
Ive swapped out all three and its the same

This is something I'm still messing with on my surround setup as well: Identical L-C-R speakers, and yet the phantom center still sounds smoother and more natural than the actual center speaker.

Ironically, I think our problem stems from the fact that the speakers are identical. Assuming yours are of a conventional 2-way design like mine (monopole), we're just hearing the difference between on-axis and off-axis response. It's my belief that many (most?) speaker systems are "voiced" with the assumption that they will be heard off-axis in the usual L and R positions. When we take that design and plant one right in front of us (directly on-axis), it tends to sound a bit "hotter" in the upper range.

Have you tried toeing your L-R speakers inward toward the listening position? This would at least answer the above question by "equalizing" the listening axes between all the speakers. That said, I confess I haven't tried this with mine, mainly because I'm so happy with the sound of the stereo pair - I want to make the center sound like them, not the other way round. Still, it might be worth trying temporarily just for troubleshooting purposes.

As for correcting the sound of the center channel, I haven't had time to mess with mine lately. One thing that helped for me was to reduce the tweeter level a bit in the center. This was easy to do with a full-active setup; if your speakers use passive crossovers and don't already have tweeter level adjustments, some modification would be required, like an L-pad or similar. I'm not very knowledgeable on passive networks, but I don't think this would be too difficult. It did reduce the problem significantly in my setup, even though it really only addresses the symptom and not the underlying cause.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

My speakers are about 3' out from the front wall w/ projector screen. I do have a rack behind and to one side of center, but there's not much on it these days.

You're right though, Dave, the difference in room position between center and L/R speakers is probably an important factor as well as the difference in listening axes. My plan is to see if I can improve the directivity characteristics of my speakers to address the latter, and experiment with room treatment for the former.

Jim

P.S. Speaking of TVs, my projector has been on the fritz lately (again), and I really wanted to watch a movie last weekend. So I dragged the 55" curved TV out of the bedroom and set it up above and behind the center speaker. Yikes! Turns out that having a giant parabolic reflector behind the speaker does not help things at all. Time to fix the projector, heh.

Last edited:
I think part of the issue is that we get too used to the problems of stereo reproduction. If you listen carefully, as instruments are panned or recorded to the sides, they get brighter. More "presence." As they approach the center of the stereo field they get more dull and laid back.

From what I've read, this is an HRTF issue. Listening to mono recordings in stereo and listening with a single center speaker won't sound the same in the best of circumstances. Based on my own HT and measurements vs. perception, this holds up for me.

Music can actually can sound quite nice if you have a good way of recreating that center, I like Neo6's music mode personally, but rarely get to use it. After decades of listening however I suspect a lot of ear/brain training can be going on so that we no longer realize this center dullness is happening.

If you are used to the way the 2-channel reproduces a phantom center you may need a little time to adjust though. :)

Best,

E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.