Audioexite Prestigious Two – Monitor DXT vs. Troels The Curve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,
i want to build a two way with decent quality components and there is quite a bit out there. the two designs mentioned above seem particularly interesting as they come at a reasonable pricepoint. Maybe someone here could point out what differences there are to expect in terms of sound.
SEAS CURV
www.audioexcite.com >> Prestigious Two – Monitor DXT
they both use the same woofer but quite different tweeters, fabric versus aluminum. how do they sound different?

they also differ in xover frequency a bit with the curv crossing at 2.2khz and the DXT near to 3kHz (depending on tweeter level)
so far i listen with fabric domes in my speakers.
i listen to a lot of different musik, but i seem to get anoyed by sibilance pretty quick.
for now i will be driving it with an old onkyo integrated amp, but i will be switching amps sooner or later.
any advice or different suggestions welcome.

thanks
Juergen

Actually, they both look right. I rarely agree with what Troels does, but this time i think he did a fine job - so it all ends on your preferences. If you like textile dome tweeter, go with Troels speaker. If you believe that you will like metal cone, go with Gorans project.

Hello Zvu,
thanks for the reply.
i dont know what aluminum tweeter sound like, but i remember a titanium tweeter in speakers on a trade fair which realy impressed me.
i listened to ceramic tweeters used in isophon speakers in a listening room once but they didnt reproduce the music, to me it sounded like they are dissecting it.
i like the simplicity of Gorans crossover,
Troels is not to complicated either but the 29TFF/W tweeter in the Curv looks quite ugly to me.

I'm interested in hearing how they turn out. Did you see Goran's additional page on different crossover frequencies? Might be worth to buy the additional resistors so you can decide which variation you like best. Here's a summary of the options.

Additional Prestigious Two DXT Crossover Options:

1. 3 KHz Crossover: R1 = 2.2R, R3 = 4.7R (original crossover)

2. 2.6 KHz Crossover: R1 = 2.2,R R3 = 6.8R

3. 2.5 KHz Crossover: R1 = 1.5R, R3 = 8.2R

4. 2.4 KHz Crossover: R1 = 1.5R, R3 = 10R

Last edited:
In my opinion, Troels designs tend to be more laid back and musical. Goran designs seem to have a more flat frequency response which may have elevated sibillance. But it seems like you like a more neutral and flat frequency response of Goran design. Hope you like them in the long term.

In my opinion, Troels designs tend to be more laid back and musical. Goran designs seem to have a more flat frequency response which may have elevated sibillance.

Wow that's quite an opinion. I am curious why you think that.
In my opinion the major difference between Troels and Goran is that Troels has taken the commercial route (by not publishing crossover schematics and sometimes using so called special loudspeaker units not widely available).
Goran therefore more serves the DIY community (though his Concentric Three - M5 is also a difficult project wrt availability).
But that's my opinion :).

Last edited:
Troels did publish his crossover values until his speaker designs were being sold commercially without his permission. So I see his decision to quit publishing crossover values as one more of preservation than anything else. I think both Troels and Goran have done a fantastic job supporting the DIY community. Just my opinion too. :)

Troels did publish his crossover values until his speaker designs were being sold commercially without his permission. So I see his decision to quit publishing crossover values as one more of preservation than anything else. I think both Troels and Goran have done a fantastic job supporting the DIY community. Just my opinion too. :)

Unlike others, I don't have any problem with Troes not publishing his schematics given the reasons behind it. Besides, if you were to build his speakers, you would have spent the same amount of money so it really doesn't cost you more.
As for Troels vs. Goran, they have similar xover design, but based on various feedbacks, Goran designs have flatter freq. response vs. Troels whose voicing is more musical and laid back.

Goran therefore more serves the DIY community (though his Concentric Three - M5 is also a difficult project wrt availability).
But that's my opinion :).

Troels actually had published quite a lot than Goran actually by an order of magnitude. The only thing he does not reveal are the component values, but the basic xover topology are shown in his website.
The only drivers he uses that "may not" be available is the new ScanSpeak oval drivers but they will be available once SS decides to release them. The only other driver are from Audio Technology but I think you may be able to order them directly from Audio Technology.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.