Speaker City mtm kit experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speaker City Saga
Hi, I thought it important to share the experience I recently had when I ordered a kit from Speaker City.

02/05/04 I called and was connected with Wally, the owner I guess. I was interested in ordering the 6.5" mtm kit without the boxes. I placed an order that day and was told he would call me the next day and tell me when I could expect the kit. Almost 2 weeks went by with no word, when I finally called them, they claimed to have no record of my order. Ok, bummer but no big deal as Frank the second in command there assured me I hadn't been charged and he would process the order himself and get it on its way. About another ten days go by and I recieve my credit card statement, on it was a charge from the first day I had called. Speaker City had processed the charge before shipping or even trying to fill the order.

I couldn't believe it, I'd been assured I hadn't been charged, yet there it was. When I called to ask about the charge, they still hadn't shipped my kit yet, over one full month later. Plenty of excuses and finger pointing though.

At this point I should have backed out, but I had spent a fair amount of time and energy on the boxes and still wanted the kit. After many unanswered emails I finally had to resort to calling them on my own dime. They won't be available if you call the 800 #. It is only for people who are calling to place an order.

On 3/12/04 I was assured via email "Parts arrived today and will ship today." After a few more unanswered emails requesting the tracking # , I come to find they still hadn't shipped. More excuses but no kit for me. After daily phone calls they finally sent some of the kit on 03/19/04, a month and a half later. It seems they are still waiting for the crossovers to arrive.

On 3/24/04 I still hadn't recieved anything so I tracked the package and it had been sent to a town 150 miles from where I live. They couldn't even send it to the correct address. I am still waiting.

Here is the burn, as a hobbyist I was excited about this project, I paid to use the woodshop at the local high school by enrolling in a woodworking class and had planned to do some custom stuff to the cabinets etc... I never recieved the kit in time to even finish the cabinets.

I have to believe there are outfits that do a better job of supplying kits, otherwise nobody would go through this. I'll tell you this, when I finish this project I will not be able look at them without remembering what a pain in the neck it was to get Speaker City to send what they charged me for. Without delay I might add, they had no problem whatsoever when it came to charging my credit card account. Kinda takes the fun out of it, for me at least.

Furthermore it seems that this is just how this outfit operates, I am pretty sure if I hadn't called and emailed like I did I never would have recieved anything from them. By the way I still haven't recieved anything.

I have bought many products online, ebay audiogon etc... and until this never had a problem. Now I know where the E-commerce nightmares come from.

Buyer Beware

Nothing but good experiences...

:confused:

I have been buying from Speaker City for several years and have only had positive experiences.
Three years ago I purchased a trio of their M-52 (Vifa) MTM speaker kits for my home theater. I got prompt delivery, and the guys there were very helpful in answering all of my questions.

Two years ago I had Frank design a revised crossover for my Ariel ME-2 speakers, and he did a terrific job (nice, flat axial response).

I wonder if they were short-handed. The last time I travelled to their Burbank location and although the store was full of people (a Saturday)-despite constant incoming phone calls, they made us feel we had their full attention.

Obviously, you have every right to choose where you shop; however, everyone makes occasional mistakes. Just give them a chance to make it right, and I'm sure they will.
-chas

Received some of the kit today 4 mid drivers, 2 tweeters, 2 input cups and a couple dozen screws. No gaskets, no wire, no ports, no stuffing.

The input cup is so much smaller than described on the drawing that it is unusable. One reason I needed the kit before I drilled the holes.

Thanks

Well, so far I have only dealt with PartsExpress. I know they don't carry the "exotic" stuff, but its usually good enough for me. The price is right, and they have always been great.

Good luck on your ordeal,hope you get everything you need. At least you can dispute it. And as always just suck up your pride and chalk to experience.

BTW: You should watch Court TV, you'll find that most poeple you encounter really aren't that bad compared to some ;)

Good listening!

Glad to hear it, TNC!
I KNEW they'd come through for you.
As for the undersized terminal cups -plastic cups suck! I have replaced most of mine with plates of aluminum or hardboard drilled to accept the binding posts, soldering the wires and sealing connections with hotglue. I then 'slather' the inside of the terminal plate with damping compound. Nice and dead.
;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.