Bose 201 Series II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a pair of Bose speakers that appear to be 201 Series IIs. I thought, hey, look, I could replace the drivers and make something nice! I didn't have anything with me to test them, but I also found an old amplifier nearby (it's labeled "olid State", presumably there was an 'S' there once...)

I wasn't expecting much, but I powered them up and scrounged for cables to connect my laptop and lo and behold they actually sound... um... good?

I'm picky. Really picky. My father had a Bose setup that I found underwhelming from the 90s that cost a pretty penny back then.

I've heard 201 Series IV speakers, direct descendants, and they don't sound this good.

I've never heard these speakers praised or discussed in any way, but they are cheap on eBay... I wonder what it is I like about them? I guess my question is that: they aren't particularly faithful-sounding, but they just sound nice--what could I do to reproduce this kind of sound using modern components? I sadly don't have any way to take these two with me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.