Decode this speaker!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dual 8" Augspurger Studio Monitors.

The claimed frequency response seems to be down to 25 Hz. It seems to have 8 ports... wonder if the the two woofers are in separate cabs with 4 ports each, or the 8 ports are calculated for the two 8" woofers working in one enclosure.

I'd like to identify the woofer, tweeter and horn profile used.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Dual 8" Augspurger Studio Monitors.

The claimed frequency response seems to be down to 25 Hz.

These monitors will go down to 25Hz, the question is how low below the avg. level OR linear with which max spl. - both is possible because of the DSP, but not both at the same time. either the spl is limited or the bass falls off sooner, that's physics. Most of the sound is attributed to the DSP.

I'd like to identify the woofer, tweeter and horn profile used.

The horn is custom made, you can't buy it separate. The driver is a RADIAN1,4" 951PB BERYLLIUM, custom modified, you can't buy the modified version either.

According to the data they present you are correct. But I doubt that I would like to use it for monitoring that way. The matching sub won't make that much of a difference in terms of cost.
Although I like two way speakers with PA woofers in low tuned cabs with active EQing - I think using a driver with an fs of 53 Hz down to 25 Hz is a little extreme. But that particular driver is quite nice. It is very close to the lf part of the 8cx300nd which I like quite a lot.
From the look of the basket I always assumed that the 15" that Augspurgers use would be a Beyma. But I always thought it would be a custom one. But having a closer look at the data it does indeed look very similar to the 15G40.
Talking of the ....G40 family: The current version of the 10G40 does also look interesting for a speaker like that. I use an older version of it in a 2x10 bass cab.

Regards

Charles

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
According to the data they present you are correct. But I doubt that I would like to use it for monitoring that way. The matching sub won't make that much of a difference in terms of cost.
Although I like two way speakers with PA woofers in low tuned cabs with active EQing - I think using a driver with an fs of 53 Hz down to 25 Hz is a little extreme. But that particular driver is quite nice. It is very close to the lf part of the 8cx300nd which I like quite a lot.

I agree, I personally wouldn't do that either, I'd settle for ~40Hz and, if you want to go lower, just add the subwoofer, crossing them over at maybe 80Hz.

The 8CX300Nd is a very interesting driver, I thought about a top/monitor with it but decided otherwise then.

I'm quite certain the woofers are in separate enclosures like pretty much every other twin (or more) woofer monitor I've seen.

Reason being that if one woofer goes for any reason the monitors remain functional albeit a bit quieter.
Were they to share one enclosure and one goes the whole porting alignment would be out of whack and if it goes at high replay volume it would probably take the other with it.
And we all know that if the monitor in your studio goes it will be Friday evening of the 1st week of a solid one month booking. In the shared volume case you will look like an idiot and lose business. In the other scenario you eq a little bit, restrict overall max level and the talent will most likely never notice. :D

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I'm quite certain the woofers are in separate enclosures like pretty much every other twin (or more) woofer monitor I've seen.

Reason being that if one woofer goes for any reason the monitors remain functional albeit a bit quieter.
Were they to share one enclosure and one goes the whole porting alignment would be out of whack and if it goes at high replay volume it would probably take the other with it.

The woofers get the same signal and if one gets damaged, the other is in pretty much the same condition. Besides that, at passive speakers the crossover gets a different impedance and the sound will be very off. Not acceptable for a monitor at all. Even at such active speakers like these ones the mid and bass will be more quiet, which also affects the tonal balance and is absolutely inacceptable for monitor use, you can't continue to use them anyway.

Besides that, monitors aren't used for extremely high spl, no sound tech wants to become deaf - though they are capable of it (app. >125dB/1m). The beymas have a very high power rating (300W each), which makes it highly unlikely to power-overload them in any monitor use. There's still the possibility of mechanical overload but the BEYMA 8P300Fe/N do have a progressive suspension. While you can overload them mechanically, they will go into compression first, and that's also not something that goes unnoticed.
So that statement is quite a nonsense.

There are mainly two reasons for two separate volumes in monitors:

• If you part the volume into two separate chambers you rise the wall-to-wall resonance to the double frequency, where it might be easier to dampen (or the other way around, one large volume to shift them to a frequency where the resonance is less disturbing/annoying)
  • The parting wall is needed for stiffening the enclosure and/or to build separate compartments for the tweeter and electronics anyway.

And we all know that if the monitor in your studio goes it will be Friday evening of the 1st week of a solid one month booking. In the shared volume case you will look like an idiot and lose business. In the other scenario you eq a little bit, restrict overall max level and the talent will most likely never notice. :D

Well, that isn't a monitor for a weekend band. But at such a job and equipment you will get either a rental replacement or overnight parts delivery anyway, no matter if you have to pay it yourself or not. Yes, that includes weekend.

And if a monitor goes while being operated within it's specs, it's 98% of the time because of an electronics defect. And most of the rest is because some musician rage-quits with violence to the equipment.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
In the shared volume case you will look like an idiot and lose business. In the other scenario you eq a little bit, restrict overall max level and the talent will most likely never notice. :D

I wasn't sure if I should say that. But.. well, I have to add, if you cheat on your customer and they do notice, you'll look much more of an idiot and lose even more business. On top of that, it's a devastating review you're getting.

Stay honest and professional, explain what's happening and that's how you keep your clients. Noone likes to be lied to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.