Do i need analog active Crossover or Digital Crossover for DIY home theatre speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dipankar!

Welcome!

When you say "analog crossover" do you mean passive, or do you mean active (op amps, power supply, etc) ?

Both require careful measurements. Guessing crossover points and hammering the speaker FR into place after with EQ is a disaster. :)

Best,

E

He used the term "Analog Active Crossover", which usually means something built with op-amps or buffered stages and coming before the power amp (as opposed to passive crossovers, which are most often used after the power amps but don't have to be).

Analog crossovers constructed from all opamp stages, or some passive(TM) and some opamp active(M-W-ROOM), make sense if you worship Vinyl and magnetic tapes. If you mainly listen to digital audio, a good digital crossover plus one amplifier-per-speaker is a good investment which you can use with many different speaker builds. If you move the speakers to a different room, or even against a different wall, just program a new bass equalization. You want to study digital crossover options before you invest $$ and your time.

If you have visited the Linkwitz Lab website you understand that a high quality opamp analog crossover is very complex. My main Full Range Apogees speakers use all analog opamp crossovers with one-amplifier per speaker. Sound wonderful... no plans to go digital. My best speakers use PC based digital crossovers... BUT passive crossover speakers sound "good enough" for bedrooms+garage+kitchen systems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.