Spherical Enclosure Considerations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, In the process of building/designing my first set of bookshelf speakers. I bought an overnight sensation kit to make it a little easier.

I've been playing around with the idea of 3d printing a spherical enclosure. Something I'm not sure of is, do the volume and porting calculations remain the same if I'm moving to a spherical design? Are there any other considerations I should make prior to printing?

Preliminary CAD I've been working on
IMG_20170306_205026.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have measurement equipment. I'll likely try the spherical design out on a single speaker system. I've gone through the development papers for the BW 800 series enclosures; and adding a nautilus style tube to the sphere seems to be fully doable for me with a 3" driver and my print volume capacities.

It sure looks pretty cool! How do you plan to build the enclosures? Any reasoning behind the size and shape of the tapered chamber?

The design is based on the B&W 800 development papers, scaled to fit a HiVi B3N; the tapered tube on the end of the sphere is intended to reduce resonance. Nothing scientific on my end, just experimenting with what I think is interesting.

The small driver size allows me to print the enclosure in one piece on an FLM 3d Printer.

Capture123.JPG

Last edited:
Stuff it well with wadding. I built a spherical ikea salad bowl speaker with great success.

I have a rather significant pile of measurement gear.... with decent wadding / damping resonances were not an issue at all.

The impedance znd freq response were very very well behaved. The driver was one of the old Vidlfa premium line units - the overall performance of the enclosure really surprised me.

FYI I used
Sub woofer- 20 to 80Hz
Spherical - 80 to 3000 Hz (odd I can't remember the exact XO)
Tweeter - 3khz up.

Have fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.