M2 Synergy Horn

Ran into this article last night:
CES2017: Monoprice Unveils Expanded Line of 3D Printers | Hackaday

Might be worth waiting till April to check this one?

"The Pro Filament Printer
If you jump over to Monoprice right now, you’ll notice they really have the ‘good, better, best’ market segmentation down with three printers that cost $200, $400, and $600. The huge SLA printer shows they’re ready to jump into the pro market, and for filament printers they’re offering the MP 3Series Commercial 3D Printer (or 3Mill, according to the engineers). It’s a printer that can print a 400mm cube, and it costs $800."

That could print a 15" waveguide!

SLA also sounds interesting, but.... expensive!

sounds like a steal considering these were $200 each items lol

P7290022.jpg

I'm a big fan of using multiple printers to print large objects.

For instance:

The waveguide in this thread took 32 hours to print and measures 8"x8"x6"

Scale that up, and we see that a waveguide measuring 16"x16"x12" would take about five days to print

But if you 'slice' that waveguide into four pieces, you can print it in 25% as long on four printers simultaneously

Besides being able to print faster, it's also less maddening if one out of four prints fail, then if one print fails that took four days to print

Also, because you can arrange waveguides at a 45 degree angle, you can print larger than you might realize.

For instance, the printer that's on sale for $320 today prints 8"x8"x7". But if you rotate the waveguide 45 degrees, you can fit one that's 11.312" wide. This assumes the coverage angle is 90 degrees. If the coverage angle is narrower, the width will shrink.

Split the waveguide down the middle, and you could print a 20" wide waveguide on the $320 printer. This assumes a height of 7" or less.

Last edited:
Using solvents to smooth the surface of 3d prints is a well established process. Even searching "3d print smooth acetone" should be evidence of that.

IMHO the surfaces deformations will be uncontrolled, it can be useful for a toy or an artistic statue, but totally undesirable for a mechanical part.
Perhaps amateurism has some limits concerning mechanical parts execution because the first thing to do is a well drawn and quoted drawing... it is a little bit like building an amplifier without any schematic :rolleyes:

at the top of the audio frequency range physical dimension resolution does seem to be a question, especially when you get into compression driver phase plug/acoustic lens ideas are the filament printers really up to it?
how tightly can you control gap dimensions, parallelism, surface smoothness even assuming adequately thick walls? - in a compression driver throat "appliance" you would need to control the expansion rate, acoustic impedance of sub 1/4 wavelength dimensioned slots/passages

if I ever got that far I would probably send out for SLA fab from a service company

Found this in some CES show reports. New models coming from Monoprice in first quarter 2017. Including this one of particular interest:

"They’ve also shown the MP 3Series Commercial machine, intended for professional office use. This steel-framed, filament-based machine offers a huge 295 x 195 x 575mm build volume and can print 20 micron layers. It’s heated bed and borden-style extrusion system can handle PLA, ABS, TPU, PC, Nylon, Flexible and composite 3mm diameter materials. Of course, it includes WiFi, auto leveling and other goodie features. It’s intended price: only USD$799. "

mp+3series+commercial+-+1.jpg

I think I may wait for this one. A lotta $$ but this could do about anything I'd want.

Those jerks at monoprice really want me to buy a second printer

The one that I have, that was a steal for $399, is now $318:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13860

Ah, with all the talk of 3d printing, I wondered what printer you had. I'm on the brink of getting this one for general experimentation. Have you done the typical mods to it (mosfet, z-brace)

the build volume isn't big enough to consider something like Bill's cool synergy without cutting it into at least 3 if not 4 parts, but realistically they're way too big for any setup I have anyway.

Patrick, try a 1mm nozzle. More than enough detail for waveguides, and prints WAY faster. I just did a small print (non-audio related) with a 0.4mm nozzle and it's a shock how incredibly long it takes to get anything.

If you do want to try a large format, I've heard really good things about the CR10, said to take about half an hour to assemble and then it prints right off. The only think I don't like is that it's a 'Prusa' style so the thing being printed gets shaken back and forth all the while it's being printed.

You can get a little more $$ off on it with the coupon "TheHotEnd":
Creality3D CR - 10 3D Desktop DIY Printer US PLUG-474.92 Online Shopping| GearBest.com