PSB Stratus Goldi Crossover

Hello. Hopefully I'm not being redundant with this post. I set out to replace the non-polar electrolytics in my Goldi's expecting an easy task, but I'm dealing with capacitors here, and I've learned this never cut and dry.

(please refer to the attached photo/diagrams)

* The photo is of the actual crossover. The diagrams are derived from previous posts on this site and are of the standard Gold, not Goldi, crossover. The two crossovers are slightly different, but doesn't affect the job of changing the bi-polar electrolytics,they are of the same value.

-Old caps to replace: Hanlan bipolar 100uf 100v
-My choices for new:
*Elna RBD100uf 100vdc
*Audio Note Kaisei 100uf 100vdc
*Mundorf (raw) 100uf 100vdc
QUESTION...the voltage ratings on the new cap prospects show "vdc". Are these caps intended solely for amps/outputs and not crossovers? And is "vdc" equivalent to the standard "v" stamped on many caps?
Basically, I'm out to replace the bipolar caps in my +20 year old speakers with something that might be considered an improvement. I'm having a maddening time replacing apples with apples while improving the x-over also.

Any recommendations to replace these would be great. I have to believe there are hundreds, if not thousands, of these classics that could use some refurbishing of this sort, so I hope this post/responses may clarify this task for others...

Notes: As for the 1.5uf 100v, and 10uf 100v to be replaced, I've ordered the same value/type caps from Parts Express (bennic?) I could'nt find any other types matching the specs.

And, in reference to the small purple .47uf polystyrene cap shown in the "high" section, this will be replaced with a Clarity ESA .47 250v.

I will most likely keep the ERO 4uf caps in place in the "high" section. The small blue cap "?" in parallel with these has unknown values at this point.

...sorry for any lack of clarity here, and if any jargon I used sounds strange, I'm semi noob at this... Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 482
When you parallel crossovers - this adds the capacitance. so 2 * 100 uF in parallel = 200 uF of capacitance. Is that what you want?

I haven't heard the same speaker with different brands or material of capacitors to know whether I would hear the difference. Generally electrolytic caps are deemed "the bottom" but I can't say whether mylar / polypropylene etc. are "sonically x% better". are they 400% or 4% better?

Tony here ranks caps if you want a read:
Humble Homemade Hifi - Cap Test

Personally.... I'd be looking upstream for sonic upgrades. What amplification and source are you using?

I have an Adcom GFA-5802 and a Naim Uniti Atom playing mostly flac files (ripped with EAC by me).

It sounds great. I just wondered if any of the following reasons applied. In order:
- capacitors degrade over time and the speakers are now 16+ yr old
- PSB had an awesome design but couldn't afford the highest-end parts
- replacing my crossover caps would be a fun hobby project

Open to suggestions though!

Note i see your comment about 'parallel crossovers' -- that was not my intent. I just thought about replacing old parts with equal-spec new, maybe better brand, parts
I have an Adcom GFA-5802 and a Naim Uniti Atom playing mostly flac files (ripped with EAC by me).

It sounds great. I just wondered if any of the following reasons applied. In order:
- capacitors degrade over time and the speakers are now 16+ yr old
- PSB had an awesome design but couldn't afford the highest-end parts
- replacing my crossover caps would be a fun hobby project

Open to suggestions though!
I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering if you ever did the crossover update/upgrade and what the results were. I'm considering a similar path for my Goldi's