2 way speakers with mechanical crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all :)
I had seen some 2 way speakers (Not sure but AR I think) where the woofer was said to be mechanically constructed in such a way that it damps (attenuates) high frequencies and this served as a low pass filter. The tweeter had a capacitor and resistor.

So my question is. Can a mechanical crossovered 2 way speakers be made ? I guess this would not be high fidelity but would be interesting. We can use 2 or 3 inch driver to produce high frequencies. it would be sealed from behind the cone. (see below picture) So cone movement is highly restricted and serves as high pass filter. Or by any other mechanical means which attenuates low frequencies.
Is it Possible ?
$_1.JPG

Thanks and regards

Can a mechanical crossovered 2 way speakers be made ? I guess this would not be high fidelity but would be interesting. We can use 2 or 3 inch driver to produce high frequencies. it would be sealed from behind the cone. (see below picture) So cone movement is highly restricted and serves as high pass filter. Or by any other mechanical means which attenuates low frequencies.
Is it Possible ?
May be possible, but power handling will be extremely low because there will be no electrical high-pass filter for the 2 or 3 inch tweeter. Another problem is matching the woofer's mechanical low-pass frequency to the tweeter's mechanical high-pass frequency to be the same.
You may use 2 or 3 inch "fullrange" driver (the power handling will be good!) in a small closed box, but it's "mechanical" high-pass frequency point will be rather low, so there will be a problem to find a woofer with such a low "mechanical" low-pass frequency. In this case bandpass woofer box will do the trick.

Thanks. So I think main obstacles would be frequency matching of both drivers and mechanical high pass filter for tweeter or small cone drivers is not possible.

Since audio transformers are said to be band limited can they be used ? One can design specific transformer for specific frequency bands. Like windings in such a way that it will deliberately have some capacitance and attenuate low frequencies. Pardon for noob queries. :eek::)
Regards.

Apparently so. :) Check out the full range drivers at Madisound. Fostex makes some very affordable drivers like this.

Best,

Erik

Hi all :)
I had seen some 2 way speakers (Not sure but AR I think) where the woofer was said to be mechanically constructed in such a way that it damps (attenuates) high frequencies and this served as a low pass filter. The tweeter had a capacitor and resistor.

So my question is. Can a mechanical crossovered 2 way speakers be made ? I guess this would not be high fidelity but would be interesting. We can use 2 or 3 inch driver to produce high frequencies. it would be sealed from behind the cone. (see below picture) So cone movement is highly restricted and serves as high pass filter. Or by any other mechanical means which attenuates low frequencies.
Is it Possible ?
$_1.JPG

Thanks and regards

Hi,

All tweeters by default are mechanically hi passed.
All tweeters by default will blow fed a full range signal.

Shedloads of cheap speakers are built with no x/o
on the bassmid unit and a single capacitor on the
tweeter to prevent low frequency power blowing it.

rgds, sreten.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It could be done, but getting the speakers to match is problematic, and i’d want to use a good midTweeter (ie small FR) up top. A sealed alignment creates a 2nd order HiPass, but they still get all the LF crap. Putting even a 1st order filter helps this driver in its passband by releiving the driver in the bass. Note that the mechnical XO point is going to be fairly low. The 2 problems presented are often dealt with by simply hi-passing the tweeter with a single cap at the point where the midWoofer starts rolling off.

By the way, those alnico National/Panasonic tweeters are quite decent, but i would not use them without a high-pass.

dave

PS: a fullrange with a whizzer cone is a driver with a mechanical crossover built-in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.