World's best Tweeters Blind Testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So that would be the logical continuation of this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...st-midrange-blind-testing-need-your-help.html

Once completed, we'll have one or many midranges that can act as a solid reference in order to test... Tweeters.

The test set-up and methodology will almost be as sample as a copy-paste so i see no real trouble getting it done. (However, don't expect any Woofer blind testing anytime soon!) :cool:

-------------

So, what you be your favorite contenders to add on the list ?

Let me start with:

RAAL 140-15D
Beyma TPL 150

The upcoming ''reference midrange'' will be able to go up to 5-6khz but obviously we won't cross that high.

Still, we'll have to decide about the ''best'' crossing point, or at least a crossing point that is considered normal. Is it 2khz ? 2.5khz ? 3khz ? or else...

I would also include the DuKane plasma tweeter. I had a pair in my system for 1 month and, to my ear, the best tweet I've ever heard.

Attachments

• ionovaca.jpg
    ionovaca.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,753
Last edited:
Audax TW034 for its particular size ?
Mundorf AMT ?
Scanspeak 2905/9900 to have a classic or a SB Satori with its dust cavity ?
any mid-tweeter ESL kits to push further the competition ?
One or two compression driver with a big attenuation (it's a blind test !)
A horned dome tweeter à la Seos for the fun ? (and for iso perimeter with the compression drivers above : same horn.)

2000 or 2500 Hz high pass to give a chance to the planars...(?)

Don't plasma tweeters have issues with ozone production as a byproduct of using them?

I remember having some demo'd way back when and after a short while you could smell them work and after a long while your eyes would feel sore.
Has somebody solved this in the mean time?

Well, if you're serious about Hifi you should be prepared to sacrifice your health.

:wchair:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.