Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Diamant Noir : 3 way, ScanSpeak, active filtering
Diamant Noir : 3 way, ScanSpeak, active filtering
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2016, 01:22 PM   #1
tom120934 is offline tom120934  France
diyAudio Member

Default Diamant Noir : 3 way, ScanSpeak, active filtering

Here's my current project, a 3-way tall loudspeaker using ScanSpeak (double woofer 22W Discovery, medium 15M Discovery and tweeter 602010 Illuminator), amplificator Ram Audio T2408, active filtering on a HTPC using an E-MU 1820m soundcard.

Here's a 3D render, using Blender software www.blender.org :

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm used to 3D for other purposes and using it for loudspeakers allow me to create blueprints to be used in my workshop :

Here are the drivers :

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Each enclosure is made of 23 panels, here are some picture of the first test assembly. Front panel and inner frames still need to be hollowed out, obviously.

Some detail on the adjustement of the panels : eache one must be cut at a different angle, to be able to assemble them. So 3D modeling is extremely useful to get accurate dimensions, which I draw on the panel to cut the angle using a belt sander.

Last edited by tom120934; 16th February 2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 15th February 2016, 06:15 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Whatever you're scaling the pictures with looks awful- can you go with bigger pics and remove any effects you're adding? Looks like a nice faceted build, pretty cool stuff.
Old 16th February 2016, 08:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for noticing the issue, I didn't try to click the thumbnails. I didn't add any effect, it was just a terribly wrong shrinking. I fixed it and inserted larger images, let me know if there is any further issue.
Old 16th February 2016, 09:13 AM   #4
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Two very handy programs to scale photos :
Miniphoto v1.0 Reduire la taille des images Jpg dans un repertoire d'un simple clic
Tlcharger TinyPic (gratuit)
Old 16th February 2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Whatever you're scaling the pictures with looks awful- can you go with bigger pics and remove any effects you're adding? Looks like a nice faceted build, pretty cool stuff.
The preview makes your build appear that you it's made of Lego blocks.
Old 16th February 2016, 01:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The preview came from the image host (casimages.com), not from me : I didn't do any image rescale. I guess their BB code wasn't correct for this forum (it was fine on HCFR).

Everything looks clean now, at least for me. Can anyone confirm it or explain any further issue ?
Old 16th February 2016, 04:54 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks much better- thanks! The other ones were giving me a brain pain. Nice design, I always liked the "stealth fighter" faceted cabinet look. I'll be interested to see what you think of the small-flange dome tweeter- I'm surprised we don't see more use of them, they seem to be high-performance units.
Old 16th February 2016, 06:53 PM   #8
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That looks great the 15M from the discovery range has always been one I've been interested in. It would be great if you could make some detailed measurements of it.
Old 17th February 2016, 09:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies. Any link to others "faceted cabinet" projects or products ?
Old 1st March 2016, 01:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Here're an update after some more hours this week-end : I sanded some angles on some pieces to do a test assembly.

You can see the current state of the build on the first 3 pictures. On this side of the enclosure, I need one more triangle at the bottom, and 3 other ones on the upper end. And the top, going from front to rear end using a 4 cm wide piece.

The next two pictures show the inside : you can see the gaps between not-so-well-adjusted parts I obviously need to fill them with resin or wood glue.

Some frames are missing (the medium enclosure) and they still need to be hollowed.

I guess you noticed it requires masking tape to hold it in place. Completely not suitable for gluing, so I used some small metal squares. Maybe not enough for white gluing it so I will try neoprene glue.

The last two pictures show the enclosure in the listening room, standing along with my current setup : DIY bookshelves and a W12 GTi subwoofer. Looks like the right size, like a friend of mine said
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160227_171810.jpg (247.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20160227_171820.jpg (272.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20160227_171715.jpg (242.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20160227_171736.jpg (288.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20160227_171752.jpg (279.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20160228_183423.jpg (755.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20160228_183430.jpg (738.0 KB, 55 views)

Diamant Noir : 3 way, ScanSpeak, active filteringHide this!Advertise here!