1980's DIY Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have restored a couple of bookshelf speakers to, sort of, working order from my loft. They were a DIY project from the 1980's and the drivers and components were bought from HiFi News and Record Review of the era. The build was an article in the magazine at the time. They were base loosely around the legendary LS3/5a and had 4 inch Rogers bass and a dome tweeter (sorry no manufacturer, but could be Rogers also). The speakers also had an external sound shaping circuit designed to go through the monitor circuit of the amp to drop the levels into the tweeter. I have lost these, or they may still be under a load of junk in the loft, i will keep looking. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the article so I can get the speaker back to full working order.
Many thanks
Alex

Hey Alex,

You have a bunch of alternatives besides just recreating the exact circuit from the magazine. One, you could measure the drivers yourself using current tools, which then leads you to....

• Create a new active stage
  • Create a passive crossover to do the same thing
  • Decide to build a new kit from scratch.
  • Go fully active using a plate amp with built in crossover/dsp such as the Hypex AS2.100
If you just need to lower the tweeter section (I doubt it) then a simple L pad will work for you. Usually though for them to have used an active level circuit they probably had more going on.

Another alternative is to see exactly what drivers you have, maybe someone else has a good passive or active circuit for them online already.

Just curious, how much effort do you want to spend, and what's your end goal really? Saving money? Recreating the 80's sound?

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.