GOTO 6-way TimeAligned Horn System

What about using all drivers at once? I bet the AER can fill in where the crossover points messes thing up. I will eventually try this but with an electrostatic panel. Also, I use two ported JBL woofers as midrange after trying JBL woofers in a horn. I would prefer to use all configurations at once.

What do you mean: all drivers at once ?
Without crossover ?
I think it will not work. Lower we go, higher group delay we have. Matching all drivers by time is very important for high resolution audio.
Now I have crossovers between amplifier stages. So, it is passive, but not loaded by speakers. This is truly the best approach!

Interesting thread and I can see why Romy was not "excited" about the process. His is very well documented and not for everybody.

I am happy that Murata and Angelo both have found bliss. That is all that counts. My experiments lead me away from any AMT driver and AER/Feastrex/Fostex Rullit "full range" drivers. I understand why some are attracted.

I’ve tried some other full ranges and can say, that AER is different. So, it is not Feastrex/Fostex or any other “full range” kind of sound. It is closer to conventional top ScanSpeak/Accuton sound, but with much higher resolution. And only HF is somehow unique...closer to ribbon by character.

Just read the thread from start to finish, with an interesting side tour of Romy the Cat's website.
The problem is that long horn should be crossed as low as possible, because there are too much modes and reflections at higher frequencies. I cut my at 100hz and even with it, after all, I’m not using long bass horns. I had two: one 25hz and another 43hz. But ended up with simple ported box.

I probably agree, but it depends what you are looking for. I don't believe in ring radiators or dome compression drivers above a certain range. I prefer something even lighter, like a ribbon. I tried with an electrostatic panel and they sounded surprisingly good and with no crossover points between 500-20000Hz. They had other drawbacks, so I went for horns instead. May use them for side channels in the home theater.

Everything we do is a compromise. If I need to fold the two biggest horns to fit it in my tiny appartment because I live in the richest country in the world without actually being rich, then I am going to fold those horns. :p

That being said, that is not a terrible bend at 90° and only for bass. The worst bends I have seen belongs to the Western Electric 16A. Look at that thing! Bet it sounds great though. Some say better than WE 15A, although not as huge sounding as the 15A.

Attachments

• 16a-2.jpg
    16a-2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Mid bass region is very important . From ~100Hz and up everything must be on horns for sure :) . At least for my taste . I am using 110Hz horn with KL405 on it , sounds pretty good .

IMHO, I need horns from 75 Hz or 80Hz, and below that is not so important. So even if it is impressive, I think/hope ESD got the crossover points wrong and that I am right. But I am tired of ported 15" JBL and will not go for 18", so I have done some calculations for a 8" PA driver and it is possible to get decent midbass down to 75Hz in a horn without it becoming too huge. Requires a J-bend though and a very understanding wife. My ceiling is only 238 cm. :D Everything needs DSP time delay anyway, as I am not sitting 10 meters away from my speakers. If not for time delay, I would love to go analog. Maybe I can use a magnetic tape machine to delay the other channels when playing vinyl.

Last edited:
I thought you meant the 80Hz horn.

It is difficult to know what will sound best. My bet is that for 80Hz you need a bigger mouth. And I think a single driver is good enough even if it need to be a lot longer. No need to for that kind of SPL at home. Also, having four drivers in parallel on the same amp will sound worse than a single driver, from my experience. The 135Hz turned into a 80Hz horn looks like something Romy the cat would call a "Muslim horn".

Last edited: