Dayton DATS v2 and new SS 7" 4 Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I just got a bunch of birthday toys. One of which was a Dayton audio Omnimic/Dats measuring system, and the other is a new Scanspeak 7", 4 Ohm Revelator mid-woofer, the 18W/4531G00.

Of course the first thing I did was measure it. I added 3 quarters, which with tape were 16.7 grams according to my coca... er I mean coffee scale.

To my surprise, resonant frequency was measured at 48 Hz vs. 33 spec and Qts measured at 0.6 vs. 0.35.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out which is most likely to be correct? Yes, I have already calibrated with the supplied cap.

Thanks!

Erik

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Likely could both be (relatively) correct.

1/ T/S parameters are not scalars, you are likely picking the numbers off a different part of the curve than the factory.
2/ the factory numbers are an average of production. A quality brand like ScanSpeak probably have potential variation of +/- <10%
3/ The numbers you get will vary with the weather (mostly temperature and pressure)
4/ some change will occur as a driver breaks in
5/ The DATs is a cheap unit with some likely significant unit-to-unit variation of its own. I have talked to some who's units work fine and some who just put them on the shelves.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have the DATS V2 and it is very accurate. The Qts and fs measure are independent of the Vas measurement which requires mass added. Try measuring another driver that you have with known Qts. Scanspeak normally measures close to spec but typically Qts always measures higher than quoted. It's like engine manufacturers quoting hp under ideal conditions. But 0.6 is very far from 0.35 and will make the driver not suitable for a bass reflex alignment designed for 0.35. Taped coins can rattle and give noisy measurements. Better is putty like silly putty shaped into a donut and stuck to joint at dustcap and cone. Silly putty leaves no residue and is sticky so it moves with cone.

Scanspeak normally measures close to spec but typically Qts always measures higher than quoted.
I measured two different Scanspeak midbass models and I am very disappointed - their Qts were much higher than quoted.

Taped coins can rattle and give noisy measurements. Better is putty like silly putty shaped into a donut and stuck to joint at dustcap and cone. Silly putty leaves no residue and is sticky so it moves with cone.
Good advice.

I measured two different Scanspeak midbass models and I am very disappointed - their Qts were much higher than quoted.

Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for. It explains why I see kits with them with much larger volumes than I would expect, and it seems DATS is working well. I tested a Focal mid/woofer and it was actually pretty close to spec.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?242718-Scan-Speak-s-testing-methodology

I sent an email to Scan-Speak, inquiry about their testing methodology. I received a reply from Finn Krogh and he said:

"There are several different ways to measure the Thiele/Small parameters of a loudspeaker driver.
We measure our parameters in free air with a fixed current and add a known mass to calculate the parameters.

Unfortunately the parameters can vary quite a lot according to the measuring method.
Parameters vary greatly depending on things like the voltage/current used and how much the unit is broken in before measurement etc."

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Closer to spec is probably only an indication of how horizontal the curves are.

Here are measurements of an FE127eN, with my kit of the time (similar to DATS) and again using the kit used at a typical factory. Both measures are valid.

I use my measured data for matching drivers into pairs and always start with the factory numbers when designing the boxes (rarely have i had to adjust those)

dave

Attachments

• Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif
    Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 206
Hi Everyone,

I just got a bunch of birthday toys. One of which was a Dayton audio Omnimic/Dats measuring system, and the other is a new Scanspeak 7", 4 Ohm Revelator mid-woofer, the 18W/4531G00.

Of course the first thing I did was measure it. I added 3 quarters, which with tape were 16.7 grams according to my coca... er I mean coffee scale.

To my surprise, resonant frequency was measured at 48 Hz vs. 33 spec and Qts measured at 0.6 vs. 0.35.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out which is most likely to be correct? Yes, I have already calibrated with the supplied cap.

Thanks!

Erik

Hi Erik,

Here you have T/S measurements on the ScanSpeak 18W/4531G00:

www.audioexcite.com ScanSpeak 18W4531-G00

All ScanSpeak Relevator mid-woofers have higher Qts than the official specs. Try measuring the drivers with slightly higher added mass and you can also massage the suspension a bit by moving the cone 5-10 times just before measurement or even better, burn in the driver for about 12 hours.

Otherwise, your measurement doesn't look to off for a brand new Relevator mid-woofer.

Regards

/Göran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.