appropriate 6.5" for JBL waveguide?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- believe JBL used a closed back Alpha6 midrange with this little waveguide - what else might work well for home use? (I have these waveguides)

update - picked a sealed back Eminence 630SS 6.5 with 30oz magnet - hope there's a relatively simple passive crossover solution and result good

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

JBL*6.5 Inch WaveGuide

Last edited:
here's some quick data of 630SS laying on its back facing up at an overhead mic bare then with waveguide plus input Z for both conditions - I'm not sure if that notch would exist if it were mounted to a flat baffle

there was a lot of crappy wire from the amp - maybe an ohm's worth round trip

perhaps some xover savvy reader will give suggestions to starting network values and an impedance nulling circuit (if needed)

630SS bare vs waveguide frequency response

BVzcCve.gif

630SS bare vs waveguide imput impedance
66qvhy0.gif

I have these. Used the LA6" mids I had on hand.

They measure very nice when mounted on a 4x8 piece of plywood. There was a "plastic" sound to either the mids or waveguide. Never played around with them long enough to figure it out. They can probably use some damping.

~2.9vrms/497Hz indoors - since I had no immediate way to hold the waveguide flange to the Eminence 6, I had to just
sit the waveguide on top - perhaps it would be somewhat different if firmly attached - no clothespins, or little C-clamps,
the WG's flange is a bit smaller than the driver's flange.

EV VMR rebuilt with new parts
8YWjQ42.gif

630SS bare driver
L5hyAy8.gif

630SS plus JBL waveguide sitting on top
lCg0d3d.gif

Last edited:
here you go DJK - the trace with inductor was pretty much like no network on the bottom - no good

caps used were 25uF (thought it was 24uF) - 20uF and 12uF - what do you say? what needs to be done on the top of its range? I might run the little Peavey round APT80 size horn with RX14 on top

UcRtZtc.gif

I want good dynamics for drum kit and vocals - although I like things like Fred Astaire's singing, it doesn't hurt
to have good peak ability - but am leery of hiss from dsp with high gains so at least for mid and top, want
a passive network for this toy

red trace Peavey RX14 on its little horn with just a cap
aqA2hav.gif

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
here you go DJK - the trace with inductor was pretty much like no network on the bottom - no good

caps used were 25uF (thought it was 24uF) - 20uF and 12uF - what do you say? what needs to be done on the top of its range? I might run the little Peavey round APT80 size horn with RX14 on top

UcRtZtc.gif

I want good dynamics for drum kit and vocals - although I like things like Fred Astaire's singing, it doesn't hurt
to have good peak ability - but am leery of hiss from dsp with high gains so at least for mid and top, want

aqA2hav.gif

Fred,
This post answers so many questions; it's amazing ! Anything new to report ?

I have decided to try a 6.5 on this waveguide anyway. I re-read Bruce's
mid range horn article, and with both a chamfered ring/donut adapter to enlarge the throat (albeit rather abruptly) from 4 to 5.5 inches, and a gap introduced, I am looking forward to decent results.

That coax really mucks up that little Peavey driver - that otherwise looks really good.

UcRtZtc.gif

aqA2hav.gif

hey Pooh - what kind of horn/xover are you using with those RT4s? would they work on a tractrix with 2.5"x2.5" throat ? - what do you think would be a good compromise capacitor value for my 630SS with the JBL waveguide?

I use eight of them in a conical horn for midrange in my big mono corner system. They will work in that tractrix fine. I don't have any advice on the capacitor for the JBL horn. If you get one and measure it in your horn you will find your answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.