Calling all Zaph ZRT owners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering a Zaph ZRT 2-way tower kit...I'd like some feedback for those of you who have built a pair or listened to them. I am be interested in the ported version specifically.

A) Did you have issues tuning the speakers? Did you adjust the BSC?

B) I hear these are "Laid back", not exactly lively. I prefer lively. Is the ZRT a bad choice?

C) How's the bass? Need subs or not?

D) I will powering these with a 25w class a amp. I don't listen loud, maybe 90db max at the listening position. Will I be underpowering the speakers?

E) And lastly, is asking for a full range sound too much from a 6+1 tower? My current speakers are a smallish 2.5 way, 5" drivers. I am OK with the bass but I wonder if the ZRT will be thinner in sound.

I will build the cabs, so that's a big variable. Probably 1" or well braced 3/4 mdf. Any tips you have on the cabs are welcome.

Thanks.

E) And lastly, is asking for a full range sound too much from a 6+1 tower?
My current speakers are a smallish 2.5 way, 5" drivers. I am OK with the bass
but I wonder if the ZRT will be thinner in sound.Thanks.

Hi there,

I am neither a ZRT user nor have I heard one. There is no way this bassmid
can sound thin in a vented box. You should trust Zaph what he wrote about it.

Hi,

They will certainly do full range with 25W per channel,
but of course at relatively modest domestic volume.

Most of your questions relate to bass balance, which
is what you get with a "laid back" design, more bass.

No such thing as lively in my book, just wrong, unless
of course you have very dark room acoustics, most don't.

Cabinet design and building - look up other designs,
there are many ways of doing it compared to the
Madisound cabinet design and no one way is "best".

Accurate speakers are like fine wines, once you are
used to them everything else pales in comparison,
the ZRT should do that job, but its not cheap.

rgds, sreten.

I built the Invictus which uses the same woofer ...

The Invictus project includes construction details for an MLTL cabinet alignment. Has anyone constructed an MLTL for this Scan Speak woofer?

I had very favorable results with MLTL alignments for the 8" Tang Band W8-1808, both in reduced resonances and deeper bass. An F3 of 0.8 * Fs for the speaker is achievable. The 18W/8531G00 has 6.5mm Xlinear and 11mm Xmechanical, which seems capable of modest below-Fs bass volume. A no-cost option.

A 2.5-way, or 3-way with real woofers, would improve both the midrange and bass ranges. Side mounted woofer(s) could maintain a narrow room-friendly cabinet width.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.