How to build a rounded edge speaker cabinet easily?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a speaker cabinet, and I'm a complete noob at this.

I'd like rounded edges. How would I build something like this? Is there a place where I can ask them to cut the sheets of MDF and all the holes?

What about veneers? If I want something like a rosenut veneer, can it be done easily?

If I want maximum rigidity, should I use MDF or baltic birch?

Thanks

I suspect your questions are in the wrong forum. Anyway:

I'd like rounded edges. How would I build something like this?
You need a router.

Is there a place where I can ask them to cut the sheets of MDF and all the holes?
Cutting sheets is location dependant, where I live yes, don't know about CA. Forget about the holes, though, you need a router for that. Or you need to provide a file to a CNC service.

What about veneers? If I want something like a rosenut veneer, can it be done easily?
It depends on what you mean as easily :) Find and see a video tutorial.

Search in diyaudio, the question has been asked several times. The answer depends on how to dampen the panel resonance.

Ralf

chamfering of corners up to 1/2 inch or 13mm radiuses and speaker recesses can be done with a hand router. For detailed work use a jig and collet. Kitchen jigs can be found on ebay or make your own....

If you want to splash some cash then a router table gives you better control but will do nothing for the size of cutter you can use to get those curves.

If you want to go the whole hog with 1 inch radiuses or bigger then a spindle molder is the tool of choice but they are REALLY dangerous and would definitely outsource the job to someone who doesn't mind loosing fingers, hands or arms.

MDF is nasty stuff (banned in the US) for causing cancer so I would suggest having this done by a joiner or cabinet maker or at the very least wear a mask.

I'm waiting for a resurgence in real wood cabinets. I did a study, all be it 20 years ago and real wood can be as dense if not denser than MDF and if you use the grain correctly can be a lot stiffer. Wood after all is a composite like carbon fibre with Cellulose rods in cellulose glue. yes its more expensive that wood dust in glue but it looks a lot better.

Attachments

• radius 2.jpg
    radius 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 708
  • radius 1.jpg
    radius 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 695
MDF banned in the US? Don't think so, at least not nationally. I can go to several stores nearby here in Ohio and buy MDF. Now I agree with you that it's pretty nasty stuff, at the least powder-like sawdust it creates is, but if you have decent dust collection and wear a mask over your nose and mouth, it's a viable material to use for speaker cabinets. That said, I much prefer to use Baltic Birch Plywood and essentially switched to that exclusively 2-3 years ago for my builds.
Paul

MDF is nasty stuff (banned in the US) for causing cancer so I would suggest having this done by a joiner or cabinet maker or at the very least wear a mask.

I'd like rounded edges. How would I build something like this? Is there a place where I can ask them to cut the sheets of MDF and all the holes?

Thanks

If you want large radius corners there are options like preformed MDF quarter rounds, or kerfed 'bendy' board. Browse through the offerings at Curved Plywood, Dieboards, Drumshells Aitwood Home for some examples. There are other vendors out there too.

You might search for "translam" for more ideas, but that method can be difficult and wasteful of materials.

There may be a cabinet shop in your area with CNC capabilities. That makes lots of things possible, at a price.

I'm not sure that starting with complex curves is the best plan for a first project.

Bill

1-1/4 router round over bit. Done with a hand router, and yes, it was quite dangerous. The gyro action on that 3/4hp tonka toy was nothing to be careless with. Did a very nice job on MDF. I would not even think about trying it on real wood.

Purchased on either Rockler or Amazon, can't recall.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 679

Thanks

Everything is easy if you have the right tools and then there are different levels of precision.
I've never been able to get very accurate cuts at home depot or lowe's.
I "figured out" which was stiffer MDF or plywood years ago. I forget which it was.
OH! Also. Plywood is stiffer in one direction then in the other.
Almost no one does this I bet, but the grain (or figure) of the top sheet should be running the long way, up and down, (makes sense maybe, not sure) the longer dimension of the piece.
Woods not really a great building material, other than it's cheap. I mean, it grows on trees. There is A LOT to know about wood and paper, depending on how neurotic you are. It's a thousand times more complicated than a uniform material. Plywood and MDF kind of simplify it though.

If you have a lot or plywood and time, you cant make a template and route many of them and then stack them to make a speaker.
I always wanted to do that.

You can build nice speakers with just a router, but you need to be pretty skilled and have patience and using your brain doesn't hurt.
Also don't forget if you have to make straight cuts with a router you can use a . . . what's it called? . . . roto-bit? A thin drill looking bit, but not a drill.

Also remember you don't have to use T-nuts, you can use inserts. Also there are these things called washers that go under bolts.

Also breathing MDF into your lungs is probably not good for you and it creates a fine dust that covers everything.

I could go into the best way to build speakers with just a router or minimal tools, but it would be too long and complex and not make much sense probably.

My latest speakers I built out of a butch block table, but you have to remember that wood expands and contracts differently in different directions. Also it's not perfectly flat usually.

I don't use veneer. It's kind of like trying to make something super cheap, i.e. MDF look really expensive and fancy. I never really got it.

Last edited:

Thanks

See my post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/267841-cabinet-finishing-2.html#post4183860

Cheers ,

Rens

Thanks

Your best bet and probably least expensive, would be to visit your local cabinetmaker. Just make sure you know exactly what you need done ahead of time, the guy is earning a living and won't have a bunch of time to waste. ;)

Also, making a 1 1/4" round over is easy and safe if you'll do it in multiple passes. It also helps to have a router big enough for the job. My favorite large router is a Porter Cable 7539. I've had this beast for 20+ years. If this isn't enough router for the job its time to roll out the spindle shaper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.