Linkwitz embracing dsp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2001
I actually sort of enjoy dealing with the circuit implementations/modifications/etc/etc of analog projects. There's a certain romance and tactile satisfaction to firing up the soldering iron and making modifications that is non-existent when just flashing some new code into a nondescript black box. The SPICE program on the computer gets less use. The oscilloscope is cold more. I could go on. In that sense, the DSP direction takes some fun out of the efforts.

And, I believe, there is still a chunk of DIY'ers that would not allow DSP gadgets within their playback systems for any reason. So, it's a double-edged sword.

Since I was one of the guys who advocated the DSP direction to SL, I'm mentally torn now. I think I may need some professional help to deal with it.

That said......John, I can find out what the latest effort is if you want to re-engineer it before SL announces it.

Dave.

I met SL in Helsinki at AES 55th, Aug 2013. I asked him if he has new projects bubbling under and he said NO, LX will do... Then came LXChallege for minidsp configuration and LXMini, now this. A dog can't stop his tail! (I introduced to him my AINO dipole project with minidsp...)
-
I have zero skills to tweak analog crossovers or ASPs. Minidsp UI is so easy that it is funny! Davey, did you know that there still are guys who solder their tube amps today? Perhaps ASPs will survive too!

That said......John, I can find out what the latest effort is if you want to re-engineer it before SL announces it.

Dave.

That's really uncalled for Dave. I posted this news about SL because I saw it over at Audio Circles on the Open Baffle board and thought some here might be interested. I said shortly after I introduce the Note II RS I was done designing speakers, and I am. Doesn't mean I don't poke around the boards now and then, but I have other more interesting and satisfying endeavors to pursue = :car:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I actually sort of enjoy dealing with the circuit implementations/modifications/etc/etc of analog projects. There's a certain romance and tactile satisfaction to firing up the soldering iron and making modifications that is non-existent when just flashing some new code into a nondescript black box. The SPICE program on the computer gets less use. The oscilloscope is cold more. I could go on. In that sense, the DSP direction takes some fun out of the efforts.

And, I believe, there is still a chunk of DIY'ers that would not allow DSP gadgets within their playback systems for any reason. So, it's a double-edged sword.

Dave.

Well you are not alone. I am also torn, as want to build an analog active xover, but know that a miniDSP will speed the development of the actual curves that I need. I am close to getting one just as an R&D tool.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Bill,

The DSP units are superior development tools.
Just keep in mind your ultimate goal and use the DSP to generate something you can realize with an active circuit later. Example: Even though they'll do pure delays, you can still have the DSP boxes generate all-pass filters.

Cheers,

Dave.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill,

Just keep in mind your ultimate goal

what has my own Caribbean island got to do with speaker projects :p

Being more sensible :). I am trying to come up with a 'minimum' equalisation scheme that could be implemented quite easily in analog. Just deep down I know that a miniDSP will cut a couple of months off the project. And i might even like it, even tho I have both analog and digital front ends.

As I read the specs in their web page, they use 24 bit A/D & D/A. Yes it's much better than 16 bit CD, but....

I've been using Behringer DEQ2496 for curing minor irregularities in FR. It's said to use 24 bit A/D & D/A, too. In my experiences in cutting resonant peaks by its notch filters, it's audible when the notch is too wide and deep.

The loss of dynamic and detail can be heard. Some information is gone with the resonances, inevitably. When I found ways to solve the problems physically or acoustically, the depth and width of EQ notch can be largely reduced, and the dynamics and details (in that range) came back.

Mental effect? Er... Well, I don't have proof against it, but I do feel I can hear the difference.

So I think if we use severe boost, the highest point defines the 0dB ceiling. It means everything else is below that. It's like lower resolution on the picture where we want to see clearer. What a pity !

I've been using the MiniDSP 2x4 for the last month as well as my brother on his Altec A7's. We are both very surprised by how well it sounds sonically but with a few caveats. I'm powering mine with a 7volt battery only. Using the USB cable to supply the power degrades the sound and raises the noise floor, especially with 107dB horns. Is there a sonic detriment to the sound versus analogue? I think I've discovered why I fing it so hard to find a solid answer on the forums. You see, after I've implemented the MiniDSP by measuring my speakers with my Dayton UMM-6 mic, utilizing the automatic parametric filter generator within REW, and loading said filters into the Advanced 2-way software from MiniDSP, the results are so good that I don't care to take the time to rig up an equivalent speaker level passive crossover for comparison. It just sounds so darn good, I'd rather spend my time listening to music! I consider myself to be quite a tweakophile as well, so if I can't muster the motivation to do some serious comparing, then I don't think there are many out there that will, let alone write about it in great depth.

Hi,

Do you see how exactly the automatic parametric filter is doing? If you can, try reducing the amplitude of all those boosts and notches. I believe you'll like the version with less compensations.

And what about the level matching between (high/low) channels? Do you have gain control at/in front of the power amps, or purely rely on mini DSP ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.