Speaker Cap upgrade on highpass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put in Clarity Cap PX series 6.8uf caps in my Energy ESM-2's high pass filters. I'm thinking of putting in a couple of MUNDORF Supreme Series to clean up the top end. What uf would work well....maybe 0.1µF ? and how would I install it in the high pass crossover?

Thanks.

As in a bypass (which it technically isn't, but that's what it's come to be known as)? Suck-it-and-see. Bypass caps are a moderately controversial issue. Some say they improve things, others say they have experienced a negative impact, still more that their effect is roughly equivalent to the square root of jack.

At least when it comes to the very small values, I tend to lean toward the latter since I'm not a believer in boutique capacitors, and said values are technically far too small to affect the audio range (and one would also expect the larger cap to dominate the smaller in any case). Be that as it may, I believe the typical approach is to use 1/1000 - 1/100 the value of the main cap for your smaller paralleled one.

An alternative, if you're a believer, is to make up about 2/3 the total value with your standard / cheaper polyprop., and the remainder with something fancier. Personally, I would have thought that would be more likely to exhibit differences (if there were any), but YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.