MDF/Sand/MDF cabinet details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sand, MDF and no resonance

Petter,

I've tinkered w/ the "box within a box" sand damped cab design in the past. (Wharfdale also had a comm. design long ago using such a scheme).

Several problems arise tho, one is keeping the two boxes fixed, relative to one another while also decoupling the boxes (the entire point of the exercise). I finally settled on extending the woofer / tweet portion thru the outer box, sealing it and then filling the void w/ sand. It works but its a PITA.

The other problem is keeping the sand out of the innards of the inner box, and the drivers. I learned the hard way NOT to use plain sand, it has plenty of tiny bits of iron in it, guess where they like to sneak into?

The design worked but it was more work than it was worth IMO. I next tried the laminated panel + extensive bracing routine, MUCH easier and better results. I also did a lot or work w/ tension-compression bracing and that also reduces "cabinet talk" .

BTW, I too really liked the AX cabinet article. It's probably one of the best & most extensive I've seen in many years. Good luck w/ your project, keep all of us informed of your progress.

^G

Thanks for all the great responses!

I am particularly happy that I learned about iron in regular sand ...

I am not building (yet), but I suspect that when I do start, I pre-prepare the panels so that they are complete with sand before final cutting and assembly. This of course means that I must prepare interfaces -- such as corners, cutouts etc. properly. it should be perfectly doable.

I will keep you informed [in about a year I suppose :( ]

Petter

Car underbody compounds

During the years, there has been some focus on using various car underbody compounds for cabinet damping.

Some of these compounds are made on an asphalt or bitumenos base and might give off vapours that are potensially hazardous to LS suspension, surrounds and membranes......

There is a lot of stuff out there designed for damping of various motor and engine compartments, particularly within the boat building business. I suspect brands etc. will vary alot on a national basis,--check it out...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.