Beyma TPL-200H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How hifi is 12p80nd on that area?

dynamic, accurate, efficient, fast

In the traditional sense maybe but in a SH I will take a small 4" or smaller mid to large bass driver over a single large bass driver. Also do like the Neo8s with the TPL a lot.

I can't agree more! I've wished at least ten times that Beyma will build a 8P80ND with the same technology 12P80ND comprises. the smaller the cone, the sooner it will get narrow on dispersion as you go high on frequency. but afterall 12P80ND and TPL-150H/200H are near perfect couple that can sound damn good.

I’ve mentioned this in other places, but the TPL has a significant resonance at 1.8 kHz. I believe it shouldn’t be crossed over below 2.5 kHz. It’s easy to play around with a minidsp. A 1.8 kHz crossover has a harshness that is almost gone by 2.5 kHz, and completely gone by 3 kHz. (I’m talking 18 or 24 dB/octave). It’s true that the TPL is very capable and I’m completely satisfied with my units. But by trying to take advantage of its bandwidth the best quality reproduction will be lost.
David

AE TD10M betters the 12P80Nd in sound quality and measurements. I have tried both along with other drivers from faital pro, B&C etc. The TD10M wins for me

Do you happen to have measurements of the TD10M? Like others here, I also would love a 10 or 8" version of the 12P80Nd, and also would love to have measurements of the TD10M and 8M. Looking to cross at least at 2kHz.

I’ve mentioned this in other places, but the TPL has a significant resonance at 1.8 kHz. I believe it shouldn’t be crossed over below 2.5 kHz. It’s easy to play around with a minidsp. A 1.8 kHz crossover has a harshness that is almost gone by 2.5 kHz, and completely gone by 3 kHz. (I’m talking 18 or 24 dB/octave). It’s true that the TPL is very capable and I’m completely satisfied with my units. But by trying to take advantage of its bandwidth the best quality reproduction will be lost.
David

QEo7VmR.jpg

yWwlFKb.jpg

from france and from finland

i cross it 2,2k linear phase brick wall or 10k 1st bessel

TBSlBeZ.jpg

AjSxO3E.jpg

its 15deg "better" phase when crossing 2,2k against 2k LPBW

Last edited:
David

Could you illustrate the "significant resonance at 1.8 kHz" with some measurement?
Checking Beyma's datasheet (which are pretty reliable IME) there is a minor resonance under 2 kHz; minor as it's no more than 0.5 ohm.
My crossover from midrange to TPL150 is at 2 kHz second order; no harshness at all :).

I thought I’d be asked about measurements of course. I don’t have them. I saw them via a link to another DIY site.

I’ve searched and I can’t find It. IIRC they were done by a Swiss guy. His project was to try to optimize performance with things like different/no back chambers, different filling etc.

He had suspicions about the mounting of the plastic panel within the metal slot to which the pleated membrane is attached, and showed the effects of modifications. On this basis I have added fabric tape around the edges (thickened them) of the plastic panel so that it is a nice snug fit, rather than the slight sloppiness of the original.

He used CSD to display all his results. Interestingly, pretty much all of his interventions had some, if minor, measurable result. Except that is, where a sustained spur at 1.8 kHz was shown in every instance. Higher up the decay is exceptionally clean, fast and even.

Beyma’s curve is correct (absolutely of course!), but it doesn’t show delayed resonance.

I guess were all different. I have heard the Dayton verse TPL and gave the SQ nod to the TPL. When I heard the TPL verse Raal I liked the TPL lower and the Raal up higher. Say above 8khz goes to the Raal. CD's I have heard anything yet that comes close. BUT CD's can be crossed over below 1000hz. I just need a AMT that can crossover comfortably at 800hz and I would be happy. Well maybe but that AMT would be HUGE.

Yes I wouldnt be a fan either. Yes they were both EQ'd flat.

For my app I will have to cross over probably around 1400 depending on distance I am working with. If I can get my mids close enough then going to 1800hz or above shouldnt be too hard. I need to get started already. Have to wait months still though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.