tapped transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, it's the Log calculation of attenuation formula.

That's where the dB ratio comes from, by the way.

We are used to just say "-6dB is half voltage, 1/4 the power , 1/2 the turns ratio" just from memory, but this is the original formula.

Just don't like too much how it was written on the image:

POWER(10,-6/20) , although correct, should be clearer if written:

Logarithm (base 10) of (gain/attenuation in dB) divided by 20)

this is for voltage ratio and shows "what we already know" that "-6dB equals half (0.5012 to be more precise) voltage"

by the same token, it shows the same formula but now "^2" which means "squared" and explains the power ratio :
POWER(10,-6/20) ^2 which can be read aloud as:
Logarithm (base 10) of (gain/attenuation in dB) divided by 20) and-then-squared = 0,5011*0,5011=0.2511
which "we already knew" that "-6dB=1/4 the power"

In fact I am quite sure that such formulae can be written in Excel or any other similar spreadsheet.

Thanks lojzek for posting :)

By the way, the formula in the image also lets you calculate, in a similar way, the inductance "seen"" by a speaker connected to a tap, instead of end to end.

Very clever and useful, although not exactly written in the most user friendly way :)

I'm quite certain that the way it was originally written, is the way his "Excel" or whatever demands .

dB= 20*log(voltage ratio); for -6dB:

-6=20*log(voltage ratio)
(-6/20)=log(voltage ratio)
10^(-6/20)=voltage ratio
voltage ratio=0,5011

SL= (10^(dB/20))^2
SL=(0,5011)^2= 0,2511

thanks dude ;) I was never good at mathematics. I should have listened to my teacher

Yes, it's the Log calculation of attenuation formula.

That's where the dB ratio comes from, by the way.

We are used to just say "-6dB is half voltage, 1/4 the power , 1/2 the turns ratio" just from memory, but this is the original formula.

Just don't like too much how it was written on the image:

POWER(10,-6/20) , although correct, should be clearer if written:

Logarithm (base 10) of (gain/attenuation in dB) divided by 20)

this is for voltage ratio and shows "what we already know" that "-6dB equals half (0.5012 to be more precise) voltage"

by the same token, it shows the same formula but now "^2" which means "squared" and explains the power ratio :
POWER(10,-6/20) ^2 which can be read aloud as:
Logarithm (base 10) of (gain/attenuation in dB) divided by 20) and-then-squared = 0,5011*0,5011=0.2511
which "we already knew" that "-6dB=1/4 the power"

In fact I am quite sure that such formulae can be written in Excel or any other similar spreadsheet.

Thanks lojzek for posting :)

By the way, the formula in the image also lets you calculate, in a similar way, the inductance "seen"" by a speaker connected to a tap, instead of end to end.

Very clever and useful, although not exactly written in the most user friendly way :)

I'm quite certain that the way it was originally written, is the way his "Excel" or whatever demands .

thank you too :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.