Rebuilding The Great Technics SB-X50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I ordered all my parts from Erse including a foil inductor for the series midrange circuit.
I have not yet received confirmation of shipping yet.
I did swap out the goofy binding posts out for a 4-way binding post though.
As of now I am in a holding pattern.
I have considered using the Acoustistuff I have to replace the "blanket" that is in there from the factory.
But since I'm using them with a sub and the ports are stuffed I don't know if it's worth while.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Parts Have Arrived

Well, it has taken a while but the people over at Erse were very friendly every time I contacted them and the parts have arrived safe and sound.
The 33uf 630V caps are absolutely gigantic, I will have a fun time getting these to play nice.
The .27mH inductors are very nice looking and I bet they sound as good as they look.
I'm sure they will be a real treat in the midrange circuit.
I still need to order the 330uF Nichicon Muse ES (Bipolar) from Digikey I hope I will have them this week.

Attachments

• 0811141556.jpg
    0811141556.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 0811141557.jpg
    0811141557.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 0811141557a.jpg
    0811141557a.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 0811141557b.jpg
    0811141557b.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 271
Joined 2011
Paid Member
1 Down 1 To Go

I have the first one done, it took me a little over 2 hours to get everything right.
I will handle the other one tomorrow.
I'm getting REALLY excited.

Attachments

• 0811141933.jpg
    0811141933.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 0811141949.jpg
    0811141949.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 165
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Second One Complete

ALRIGHT!
Both are finished and installed.
Now as soon as this episode of Curious George is over I will be able to start enjoying them.
The preliminary tests of just the one new crossover with the one old one last night were VERY promising.

Attachments

• 0812141722.jpg
    0812141722.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 148
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The stands are the original ones from 1978.
I kinda like them too.
Although if I were to make nice matching walnut stands I'm sure my wife would like them better.
I don't have any other pictures, the second one turned out the same as the first.
I forgot to take a picture of the loops I soldered in to the boards for attaching the 18awg speaker wire to jumper the new components in.
When I take them back out to replace the 330uF electro's I can take more shots.

Last edited:
I have a question for Einric, I have the same speakers and was wondering why you could not replace the old components with new stuff? I know nothing about electronics,But couldn't I give mine a tune up by replacing the old Caps? or would I not be able to get the new Replacement Caps?

Einric have you split apart your attenuators? when i operate mine back and forth the sound breaks up, i suspect the inside is oxidised, i cant see an easy way to pry them apart without damage, any suggestions? (i would imagine the ones used in the SB-X3 would be the sam as the X5?). I'd like the clean them up.

Also your off-board capactiors, what type of wire did you use as an interconnect between the cap and PCB?

Last edited:
Hi Einric, I love the sound of this speakers, had the chance to use a pairs for some time, used for mastering and I feel really confortable doing this with speakers. Now I am looking to a pair for my self (the other ones where borrowed), but so far I cant find a pair for sale in the States. Live in Colombia and I need to send it over trough a mail box in Miami... so I am looking (want the sb-x3). Any way, I am pretty happy to find your topic here. Has been hard to find people who own this speakers commenting about them, felt I was the only lover of this speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.