DIY Soundbar Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I'm new to the forum and speaker building in general so I'm looking for some help on my first build! I'm looking to build a sound bar for my dad for his birthday and I had the following questions:

1) Drivers - What should I be looking for when buying drivers? What is a good number and size of drivers? Should there be a certain combination of mid-range drivers and tweeters? Could I replace the combination of mid-range and tweeters with full-range drivers?

2) Cabinet - Is it better to make separate enclosures for each group of drivers and tweeters? What height and width for a 40"-50" length?

3) Circuitry - Do I need to worry about crossover? If so, can I buy a crossover board for specific drivers, or will I need to make one?

At the moment, my thought is to make a 50" x 4" x 4" MDF cabinet with 2 3" mid-range drivers and a 3/4" tweeter on both ends. Like I said though, I'm completely new to this and any advice for this project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting thread, I`ve been thinking about a possible design of a soundbar that could do without a sub and have explored some options so far.

Peerless has a whole lot of drivers that could fit your budget and goals. I recently explored another option, the SPH-100C from Monacor, very nice little driver with an exceptional bass response but has to be crossed at max 2Khz and needs a notch, its breakup is very audible and annoying. Its bass response is absolutely unmatched by any other 4" I know of. I paired them for a test with some Seas 27TFFC neodymium tweeters and they did quite well together, run active.

I think you need to play more with the general design as many of the higher end soundbars pay lots of attention to the outer speakers and the way they emit the sound for better stereo separation. Would follow the thread with interest, thou :)

Although I haven't built a soundbar, if I were to do so I'd look at these drivers.
Vifa TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer
and/or
MarkAudio CHP-70

I've used the Mark Audio driver in a golden ratio bass reflex box and am more than pleased with it. It seems like it might work very well if placed horizontally for use as a soundbar. Dave at Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio might be able to provide more info.

What's your budget? That will have a lot to do with the drivers you can choose.

Mike

Here's one I did:

34"w x 8"h x 6"d, 3/4" MDF. Eight Tang Band 3" full range (4 per ch) plus two Tang Band 5" subs. I drive it with a Lepai LP-168HA 2.1 2x40W Mini Amplifier + 1x68W Sub The 3" drivers are no more, but suitable small full range drivers abound.

Nothing fancy in the construction, it is just as it looks. Well, the funny looking feet are a bit odd -- steel coat hanging hooks used as stand-offs; very sturdy yet smoothly rounded so as not to scratch or gouge floors, shelves, etc.

https://db.tt/YAIf0omd

https://db.tt/StfLbQSw

Sorry I've been away for a few days, I really appreciate all the responses. As far as drivers are concerned, I was thinking about going with something like:
Tang Band W3-1053SC 3" Full Range Driver
I've been reading that Tang Band is a good company for some of these size woofers. The only thing that I'm wondering is how it will affect my sound to have only full range woofers. I understand that I wouldn't be able to get as much bass as I'll be getting from a sub woofer, but how about high frequencies?

Also, as far as installing an amplifier, would that make it possible to plug directly into the TV with an RCA cable or 3.5 mm jack? because part of this which would be nice is to make it easier for my parents to plug and go. They do have a receiver which I can set up, but it'd just be easier for them to do themselves if that is possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.