Terylene wool for Daline

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building a Daline enclosure for my Kef B110 speaker. Apparently it is critical to use couple ounces of terylene wool in the tunnels. What is this Terylene wool? Is it a fabric of sorts ? Someone described it as the material used in tropical fish filter. Does it resemble acoutasuff? The white synthetic cotton looking fluffy fibre?

Last edited:
I would have damping material just in the first half of the pipe. Damping material in the second half will reduce the fundamental and thus the radiation resistance leading to larger cone motion in that range. If you do not play that loud it might not matter that much.

This thing?

in_out.jpg

If you filled the whole line with UltraTouch (which I love), I don't think you'd be getting much coming out the end.

Hi,

FWIW the Daline (I recall poring over the article may times)
simply doesn't stand up as a sensible design anymore, in
fact it never did in reality, the Author had a nice line of BS.

The above reinterpretation of the Daline (which was
a tall, wide and shallow box to go against a wall) is
still based on the very wrong design of the original.

Terylene wool is the same stuff as Polyester pillows.

Check out : Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables.pdf

FWIW its critical what x/o you use for whatever
version of the B110 you have, and a simple
tapered up/down TL is likely your best bet.

This sort of thing is a general approach :

101TL-1_large.GIF

(Though clearly the bottom is wrong, the numbers
anti clockwise are the numbers for clockwise.)

Stuff the 1st 1/3 of the front of the line, minimal surface damping for the rest.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your response. I now have a better idea as to what this terylene wool is. Truth be told , over 4 decades ago when I was in my teens , my uncle and I made this kit. Daline B110. Looking back , we lined the walls of the tunnel with fibre glass as it was what we had at the time. Despite the speakers shortcoming , I do enjoy them and want to put the drivers (B110 , T15 , Coles 4001g ) in a new enclosure and an updated crossover .
Dumptruck , the instruction calls for couple ounces of the wool streched out into the tunnel. I get the feeling the stuffing is not very dense. Perhaps I can play with the amount when the time comes and see what works best for me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.