First Build, Maybe A Little Help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I recently decided I am going to build my own tower speakers. I have done car audio for 3 years and have built a billion custom sub boxes, and have done a lot of work with fiberglass for custom integration as well. I am now working doing anything in a home with low volt. Control 4, networking, and everything to home theaters. I have installed many many many home theaters and I now have decided to build my own speakers. I know crossovers pretty well, as to what they do, not building them. I was reading and came to a conclusion that I would build a set of 2 way towers and a separate sub box, I have all the tools I would ever need, all the fiberglass/bondo/paint anything, wood I have tons of, all I need is a little help, is this a good idea? A set of two way towers with separate sub box?
Thanks to all in advance!

Were you planning to bi-amp the two-ways or use a passive crossover?

Nothing wrong with two-ways and a sub...you just have to have the sub setup to extend the range of the two-ways and not overlap.

There have got to be lots of designs in this section.

I would suggest finding out your budget range, finding what drivers are available, and search for designs and suggestions based on those drivers.

There is no point of finding a great design and then discovering that the drivers are not made anymore.

:)

Or to get the drivers at the intended listening axis or remove the aesthetic of a separate stand

Hi,

True, but many commercial 2 way towers are blocked off versions
of the 2 way bookshelfs, usually a somewhat larger internal volume,
but still more a incorporated stand than a full proper tower design.

Some are honest, and you can sand fill the bottom section,
some are not, and for DIY stands are not really an issue.
Aesthetics vary between people, some like stands.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Do it, Avi. Just have no doubt that you will learn a lot from this first build and then want to build something else in 6 months or so. I'd build the towers first and then decide later if you really need that sub.

I second the Zaph recommendation. He has some tower designs that are pretty well received and you can find pre-made crossovers at Madisound. That said, his designs aren't usually the cheapest or most efficient. What's your budget and what do you use for amplification? Will you use these speakers more for home theater or for music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.