resistor brands and type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hewdy. I have now tested a bunch of resistors on an xo that I begin to like slowly. I have had problems mainly in the female vocal area/guitarr transients. Since its in the upper freq area I tended alot on the caps which clearly makes a difference.

Tho, I also use a notch baffle comp filter plus a damping resistor (on the high sensitivity of the hf membrane). 15XA38Nd in a TQWT box and the cappys make a difference but not near the difference of the different resistors.

Has anyone else remarked this stong difference in resistors? Have you tried Mundorff, ordinary cement etc? I just putted Isabellenhutte PHB in and by far I havent heared the likes of control in the filter. Transients that caused me headache before is gone and the mid is in much better control, I changed 4 parallelled 10 ohm cement coffins to two parallelled 5,6 Isas and it made a huge difference.

4 parallelled cement coffins is sound equal to a 30 W single Mundorf M-resist Supreme to me.

Without measuring the "before" and "after", any component you change in the crossover is just a guessing game and probably you are experiencing expectation bias.
Inductance in a resistor is well below what would cause any sonic differences.
Remember that without proper controls (measuring) it's just subjective say so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.