Zaph SB 12.3 vs ZRT 2.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm at the final point of building my system - the speakers. I was going to go for the SB 12.3 as I don't want to go getting another amp etc for subs which I will probably need if I build the ZRT.. but I figured I would ask first.

So far I have:
Plinius SA-50 (~73WPC)
Perreaux DP32 DAC/Preamp

For my source I was going to test between USB and optical from my PC/laptop. I will probably end up getting a zotac zbox but I'll cross that bridge after the speakers are done and I can start testing. I have a couple of cd players with optical out but they are 12V.

Any opinions? I do not doubt that the ZRT 2.5 will be sound slightly better, but after sub(s) and amp it will end up costing double the SB 12.3.. if not more. I am also open to other options :)

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

multiple subs is desirable to get even response within the room, but you wont achieve this without room measurements and DSP on you're subs.

for me having large drivers for below 300hz is essential, as this is what differentiate a standard bass and realistic bass.

so if me, i would build the 12.3 and add subs later if needed :)

Have you read the tread: "No love for the Zaph Audio SB 12.3?"

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/185500-no-love-zaph-audio-sb-12-3-a.html

I THINK... that a technical understanding of the tight spacing demands for the M-M and M-T to minimize lobing moves many designers to the TM-WW topology. Even the inventor Joseph D'Appolito's latest speakers use TM-WW topology .

There are several SB Acoustics 3-way designs using the 6" SB17NRXC35-4 midrange and SB29RDNC-4 dome tweeter, plus two 8" SB23NRXS45-8 woofers to match the midrange SPL in a modest width cabinet.
...read thread...

SB Acoustics 3 ways

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.