open baffle speaker resistance arrangement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
I want to build open baffle speaker with no active crossover.
I read that I have to power more the bass, or decresce the mid+ tweeters for the bass be more dominated. instead of doing this with resistance and passive crossover I think maybe just serial and parallel the speaker:
2 bass 10" in parallel = 1.5 ohm
1 low mid (8ohm) + 2 full range(8ohm) = 16
The amp see 17 ohm and the bass get more power from the mid+ tweeter
I am the wrong whey?
Maybe need passive cross for the bass only

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Running all the drivers full range will not sound good even with the equalization for bass vs tweeter/mids that you propose. The bass needs to be low pass filtered or it just sounds bad - I have tried it and the only time it worked is if the woofer is in a bandpass enclosure that acts as a natural low pass filter. Your scheme may work with an additional large inductor in series with the woofer path.

ok, so i need to design passive crossover only for the bass?
then what about the resistance arrangement, its ok?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140225_015655.jpg
    IMG_20140225_015655.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 139
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was thinking you will be running woofers and some full range drivers for both mid and highs. But looks like you want a three way with actual tweeters. I don't know enough about designing passive crossovers to say but I suspect the tweeters will also need some high pass filters to keep the low frequency from going through them and making them hit xmax. Your voltage or current divider network to equalize the power can work inn principle I don't see why it won't. It is tough to adjust the levels precisely to balance though. In the end you may need some resistors to balance and you are back to a conventional XO. I would suggest getting a 3 way crossover - but it won't hurt to try what you are thinking of just be careful not to blow the drivers with excessive voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.