1,4" or 2" horn for Faital HF206

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a pair of Faital Pro HF206 drivers which I want to buy horns for.
But the issue is - this driver is really a 1,4" exit with an 2" adapter fitted on as standard (with a 4 inch diaphram).

Which means that when using a normal 2" horn, the total horn length from actual driver exit will be slightly longer (about 3 cm) then intended.

Should I still go with a 2" horn, or a 1,4"? :confused:

Hello,

I have a pair of Faital Pro HF206 drivers which I want to buy horns for.
But the issue is - this driver is really a 1,4" exit with an 2" adapter fitted on as standard (with a 4 inch diaphram).

Which means that when using a normal 2" horn, the total horn length from actual driver exit will be slightly longer (about 3 cm) then intended.

Should I still go with a 2" horn, or a 1,4"? :confused:
If you want even, wide dispersion out to 16 kHz (or so) the throat must be narrowed to 1" (or less).
Less "damage" (diffraction artifacts) occur narrowing a 1.4" to 1" than narrowing a 2" to 1", so the 1.4" is generally a better choice.

If you are planning to use it as a mid driver, say only up to 5 kHz, the choice is not as clear cut.

To address the confusion, see pic. It seems the driver is actually a HF146, but with an adapter expanding the throat to 2 inches.
I was rather suprised myself :)

weltersys said:
If you want even, wide dispersion out to 16 kHz (or so) the throat must be narrowed to 1" (or less).
Less "damage" (diffraction artifacts) occur narrowing a 1.4" to 1" than narrowing a 2" to 1", so the 1.4" is generally a better choice.

If you are planning to use it as a mid driver, say only up to 5 kHz, the choice is not as clear cut.

I plan on using it "full range", that is 500hz and up. The horn will be of a spherical type.
It seems that going with the 1,4 inch throat is best, but that also means the horn will be longer, which could add more horn colorations, and theoretically will beam more with increasing frequency...

Attachments

• 20140223_000744-1_PerfectlyClear_0001.jpg
    20140223_000744-1_PerfectlyClear_0001.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Using TAD 4002 that has the 1.5" to 2" snout I found with and without the snout in 400 Hz Edgar salad bowls the 1.5" was much better sounding. When compared with the full 2" exit 4001 the 4002 without the adaptor was much better too - here I was using the driver all the way up without a real tweeter - The Faital looks to be a fine driver.

A straight 1.4" throat exit from the compression driver will definitely generate the best sound when driving a mid-tweet range round horn like a JMLC.

Compression drivers with throat size adapters always show some discontinuities on the polar response plots.

Owner/Experts on both the JMLC and Lynn Olson threads recommend the JMLC 350 as the largest size JMLC mid-tweet to purchase for great high frequencies.

A spacer washer, like the cloth ring in your picture, is typically used to allow the diaphargm extra safe excursion travel. It is typically removed for low SPL home use to allow the best interfact to the horn.

Attachments

• jmlc350.jpg
    jmlc350.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 334
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
To address the confusion, see pic. It seems the driver is actually a HF146, but with an adapter expanding the throat to 2 inches.

interesting
I suspected the voice coil etc would be that same design
but a big surprice that it's 'just' a complete HF146 1.4" covered by the adapter

so I suspect the HF144 and HF204 are 'created' the same way

and only difference between the HF141 and HF201 is equally a simple insert with differnt exit hole

and HF140 = HF200

sorry, back to your waveguide/horn ... but thanks anyway, good to know this :up:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I plan on using it "full range", that is 500hz and up. The horn will be of a spherical type.

It seems that going with the 1,4 inch throat is best, but that also means the horn will be longer, which could add more horn colorations, and theoretically will beam more with increasing frequency...

:scratch2:

you might need very big horn

and that might have 2" throat

but will this driver really function well that low, without audible distortion

edit ... looks like some horns are all the same too, just with different adaptors, like the one you have on your driver :p

somehow I fail to see the difference
different exit/entry angles maybe ? :confused:

:scratch2:

you might need very big horn

and that might have 2" throat

but will this driver really function well that low, without audible distortion :confused:

If you want directivity control and loading all the way down to 500 hz, then you would need to use a big horn.

But that doesn't mean you can't use a compression driver below horn/waveguide cutoff. It all depends on the application. For home listening levels, distortion levels are still neglectable below horn cutoff. Avantgarde Acoustic even does it with their midrange drivers, where the drivers are used well below the actual cutoff of the horn.

Note, I am by no means an expert. This is just the conclution I've reached from reading on this forum, and doing my own research.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.