Need Help with Point Source Monitor!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello diyaudio community. I am reaching out for help on an idea I have for a pair of point source monitors for mixing music. I have no clue what I am doing or if this is just going to give everyone a good laugh for the day :eek:, but I want to make my own studio monitors for mixing music. My goal is the most accurate monitor I can make so that when I mix my music I know that if I pop it into a cd player in home, or in a car, that it will sound right. Of course I am going down a path that has already been done I just don't have thousands of dollars to spend on great monitors. Also I can't find any budget monitors that give you a flat response, with no coloration at all. So that is why I am here to try and make my own. The idea: I want to use small speakers, I have heard what several small speakers can do when running all in unison (i.e Bose 901) Not saying these are for mixing, just the amazing bass response from such little speakers. So I have found the driver I want use, it is the Faital PRO 4" full range woofer, which boasts of a flat frequency response from 90-15k hz (FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm | 294-1124) it is $25 pr. Now the set up: I am picturing using 4 of the Faital PRO 4" woofers for each monitor. Placing them in a pattern close to each other in a North, South, East, and West configuration. For the crispy high end (15k - 20k) I was planning on placing a tweeter directly in the middle of the 4 woofers giving that point source sound. I need feedback to see if this is even a viable option or if I am just dreaming of a flop project. I also plan to use a 10" sub in the back of the cabinet and porting it out the front. The end goal is to hopefully get a FLAT frequency response from around 20-30 hz all the way to 20k hz for mixing my music. I'm sure this is what we all want, but this is my first jump into DIYAudio so please be gentle with me :D. Thank you for all the feedback!!!

Hi,

Conjecture doesn't make decent monitors,
far from it, it makes generally awful monitors.

Not the sort of thing you can build with no real
idea of what you are doing. No way can you
build anything with "no coloration".

Anything you build will be much worse than spending
say twice your build costs on a good pair of quality
used monitors, and very cost effective as the time
and effort for DIY is considerably underestimated.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input, it looks like it is turning out like a thought, a flop haha. I had another driver in mind using the coaxial idea what is your impressions on the Beyma 8BXN. It also boast a flat response, it is from 60 - 20k hz, I'm not to worried about how low it will go as I will be using a morel mw-220 for the 20-80 hz range. So impression wise, is the Beyma 8BXN a good choice for critical listening, one that will show the flaws in my mix? Thank you all again for your time!

The Beyma appears to be around +/- 7dB, which really isn't so bad for a coax considering it doesn't appear to vary wildly to 60°, but that's horrible by studio monitor standards. Careful DSP EQ could make it workable, which means more cost and four channels of amp (and measurement gear/skill that it doesn't sound like you have at this point?). Equator D5 monitors are hard to beat for the price if you must have coax. Pretty hard to beat in general, really, at $350 shipped for an open box pair with warranty.

Last edited:
Budget minded, use the PE 264-1164 6.5" @ $20 a pop in a ~0.35'³ sealed enclosure, with the peerless fullrange @$12 each. MiniDSP 2x4 $80 + s/h, 4 amp channels, ~50w per will be enough. I presume you have two atm, so add another cheap amp/reciever/integrated/ DIY whatever for the other two.

Also todo what you wish to achieve you need a calibration mic. It is indispensable. UMIK-1's are cheap enough. Get REW to start REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.