A method for reducing a speaker hole?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone got a method for reducing a speaker hole in a cabinet?
As often experimenting with different size and types of drivers in an old cabinet, the present hole being too sloppy or large. I am talking about a part of, or up to, an inch or more.
I have tried making up a glue and sawdust mixture bog, but that hasn't been that successful. Particularly, when there is a fair amount of the hole to fill in.
The other method I have tried is to fill in the existing hole and then cut a seperate new hole to the required size:Which does not always match in aesthetically. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I just cut a separate "donut" a round piece of plywood large enough to cover the existing hole with a smaller driver hole cut in the center) and front or rear mount the driver on the donut.
Depending on cabinet type, the donut would be front or rear mounted, rear mounting the donut can make for a flush mount driver.

Last edited:
I just cut a separate "donut" a round piece of plywood large enough to cover the existing hole with a smaller driver hole cut in the center) and front or rear mount the driver on the donut.
Depending on cabinet type, the donut would be front or rear mounted, rear mounting the donut can make for a flush mount driver.

And if you are rear mounting in the largest hole in the box you can always cut it in half and insert it in two pieces.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just cut a separate "donut" a round piece of plywood large enough to cover the existing hole

An example. They used to have Alpair 12 in them.

MK70wT-fir-wWoofT-comp.jpg

dave

There are ways to add "bump outs" e.g. cut a new baffle and attach it over the existing one.
Or as mentioned, cut disk(s) that fit the holes and router new cutout.
Can also make up adapter rings.
This is a good time to have a rabbit bit on hand, which will give you more glue surface.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.