Winding own foil inductors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to use 12 ga. copper foil inductors in my crossovers, but the prices for high-quality, high-inductance coils is a bit high. I know a lot of people wind they're own wire coils, but I couldn't find any mention of foil coils, even after a thourough search. Is this because the copper foil is difficult to find? Or are they just particularly difficult to make? Would you calculate the dimensions/turns the same way as with wire? Also, I can't find heavy guage magnet wire no matter where I look. It seems like I should just be able to drive down to the nearest radio shack and pick up a big spool of 12-8 AWG magnet wire without any trouble, but they don't have anything remotely approaching that. If you could provide me links to places where I could purchase some 12-8 ga. copper foil or magnet wire, I'd appreciate the help. If you know of a place in the northern Atlanta suburbs where I could get it, even better.

If i were in your shoes (wich i may be sometime), id get a meter, a roll of Cu foil and a roll of the thinnest mylar you can get your hands on....and do the trial and error. Its very hard to calculate since the isolation is a major player in that piece of math.

Both Cu foil and mylar foil is available through the syndicate(farnell, RS components, etc.), for little money compared to buying the foil inductors.

Magura

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.