Looking for a suitable DIY system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking for a multi-way 2 speakers build for a small 3.6x6m room (unfortunately with furniture). Uses: music only, all geners, but focus on realistic classical piano music, so it should be full range (bottom note to the top), and layered (what some call analytical? or rather good transients?). So far I eyed the Mini Statements and the DTQWT-12. Both fall within the ~$1000 budget.
Which will suit my needs?
This is my first speaker project.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with one of Troels' designs. The Mini Statements look nice, too. Probably comes down to personal preference, which only you can determine by listening. I'd build the DTQWT-12s were it me, just from a gut feeling that they might be more refined sounding.

...and the DTQWT-12. Both fall within the ~$1000 budget.
Which will suit my needs?
This is my first speaker project.
For your first build?!... Do you mean $10.000 budget?!
Probably you are not from this planet... ;)

DTQWT-12 DTQWT featuring two 12" bass drivers
Deltalite II 2512 x4 = 600,00
Eminence Deltalite II 2512 Neo 12" Driver 290-593
Jantzen Audio JA8008 x2 = 453.76 EUR = 613.795 USD
JA-8008 HES - Jantzen 8 inch High-Efficiency Speaker - Europe Audio
Audax TW034XO-P47N x2 = 119.92 GBP = 192.070 USD
More components for crossovers, waveguides, wood, manufacturing... (and more x2). :yes:

Attachments

• troels DTQWT-12-KIT.png
    troels DTQWT-12-KIT.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 329
The BOM is $1320 including the subwoofers...

They will be too big for the room... what's the best I can do in that budget?
Are they 2 drivers of four? They look like more a four woofers project, no? :)
Anyway it says in the bottom:
Eminence Deltalite II 2510 not supplied by Jantzen Audio
Bass drivers: Eminence Deltalite II 2512, available from e.g. Thoman/Germany. Download data sheet here.

Hi,

IMO allthough I like the Statements bang for buck they
don't get anywhere near the Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5 which
is a much more intelligent use of ideal optimum driver use.

rgds, sreten.
Hi sreten
I'm highly tempted to opt for the ZD5 from the same designer since he states it's his best sounding system... The .88 cu ft vented enclosure version gets down to 30Hz. How does it compare to the other options mentioned (specifically the Mini Statements vs. since it's the same size and cost)?

Last edited:
Hi sreten
I'm highly tempted to opt for the ZD5 from the same designer since he states it's his best sounding system... The .88 cu ft vented enclosure version gets down to 30Hz. How does it compare to the other options mentioned (specifically the Mini Statements vs. since it's the same size and cost)?

Hi,

He states its his best sounding 5" and 1" system, not his best.

No doubt, but for value and bang for buck it gets nowhere
this : https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga

Like I said I think the ZDT3.5 is more cost effective than the
Statements. The ZD5 is probably the best 5"/1" you could
build if you want real bass in a small room with no sub.

As is the ZRT 7"/1" for a bigger room needing more SPL.

rgds, sreten.

Thank you for your detailed reply, I think I'll build the Amiga since I already cut the wood for the Minis (almost the same size)... I'm looking for the best I could get up to $1000 since I likely won't be able to sell them as used here and because of shipping times and costs. I hope this design will satisfy it.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have not heard any of the three you are talking about, But....... I would think the RS225 would have much more bass feeling than either a 5" or a 7" driver.
The RS225 is the driver they use in the full size statement and from what Curt and Jim have said they really like the NE149 as a midrange.

I have also looked into the Amiga and I think it is a VERY worthy first DIY project.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well.....Depending on the type of wood and it's cut (Flat or Quartered) it will behave differently.
Many hardwoods are prized for the tone and how they resonate, that is why they are used for guitars, violins and other string instruments.
My reasoning is because then I don't have to worry about veneering the front baffle chamfers/roundovers.
It is true that Plywood is more dimensionally stable than solid hardwood and for that reason I will probably have a 1/2" or 3/4" thick main baffle with a 1/4" to 1/2" sub-baffle made from Baltic Birch.
This will give me a good 1" thick baffle that would accept up to a 1" chamfer or 3/4" roundover without the need to veneer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.