Please Help Me Understand This...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As you may know, I know very little - audio wise, and have a fairly crummy system to boot.

My RCA 5.1 system has no volume adjustment for the individual speakers BUT it does have individual decibel adjustment from -9 to +9.

Now, my thinking is: -9 is very quiet and +9 is the loudest.

Is this so?

And if so, why wouldn't it be 0 to +9 ?

Anyway, I've currently been keeping all but my sub at +7 and the sub at +9, thinking that gives my bass a boost over the treble.

After you finish laughing, please explain what this is and how it works.

Thanks Again!!

Rob

These adjustments are essentially volume controls for the individual speakers. The numbers represent the dB increase the amplifier will apply to the particular channel. 0dB being the reference volume for the source material, negative numbers being quieter the reference, positive numbers being louder than reference. All things being equal I would leave all the adjustments are zero and just use the main volume knob to adjust volume. Increasing the adjustment for the individual speakers will increase the volume of the material sent to that speaker, RELATIVE to the other speakers. If your speakers that have different sensitivities increasing the adjustment for a particular speaker will not nessicarily make it louder in comparison to the other speakers. I hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.