Dumb questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of hivi m8n 16 ohm version and I'm working on a 3 way design with a ED e5.10 a pair of hivi m8n and an unknown tweeter. Firstly, I know the m8n is a hard driver to work with but Im set on using them. I created a omnidirectional design of sorts using these speakers. You can see at the bottom.. The 10in woofer is ideal for a small box and down firing saves space. The upper portion of the box where the opposing hivis sit is where I need some help. I'm currently working on modeling the angle and detraction of the speakers so that aspect will most likely change. With the hivi being in such a small box I was wondering how to smooth out the spike at 120hz. Also, my amp is a Sony strdn1030 which is only 8ohm stable and I'm not exactly in the market for a new amp. The hivis I can get to 8 ohm but I'm stuck with finding a tweeter that can mate to these Mids. I thought my best shot would be with a ring radiator like sb acoustics or the xt25. But any ring radiator I look at is 4 ohm. I know I'm kind of all over the place and most likely missing information or just Ill informed but I appreciate you taking the time to look and suggest things for me.

Anything really to add to the design. But mainly tweeter suggestions, sorry its a little all over the place.

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    435.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    432.8 KB · Views: 55
I've only seen the specs for the 8 Ohm m8n, and I doubt you can cross the woofer higher than 1KHz, so you are forced to use a compression driver over there (for which I have no experience). You're better in using a 6" mid or a more suitable 8" mid-woofer.
For your question about 4 Ohm tweeters, do you know that using a resistor in series with the driver you raise the whole impedance? If the tweeter is loud enough compared to the mid and the woofer you have to lower the SPL in any case. Another point is: do you know the T/S parameters of your sub? I doubt it is a 8 Ohm (nominal) driver, and I don't have seen a dB value.

Ralf

I've only seen the specs for the 8 Ohm m8n, and I doubt you can cross the woofer higher than 1KHz, so you are forced to use a compression driver over there (for which I have no experience). You're better in using a 6" mid or a more suitable 8" mid-woofer.
For your question about 4 Ohm tweeters, do you know that using a resistor in series with the driver you raise the whole impedance? If the tweeter is loud enough compared to the mid and the woofer you have to lower the SPL in any case. Another point is: do you know the T/S parameters of your sub? I doubt it is a 8 Ohm (nominal) driver, and I don't have seen a dB value.

Ralf

Thanks Ralph for taking the time to respond. 1200 hz is about the limit for this woofer. No, I did not know that! The sb acoustics tweeter reaches pretty low, do you think the two could mate? The subs are dual 2 ohm and I will have them wired to 8ohm and I have a crown amp that will power those specifically.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.