Apogee Cassiopeia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, this is my first thread although I do quite a lot of reading. I have been thinking on a project for some time, i.e., building some speakers that can integrate as surrounds to my Duetta Sigs. I thought on making sort of clones of the Apogee Cassiopeias; these are relatively small two-way speakers with a 6.5" cone (Vifa?) and a ribbon tweeter. Recently, I saw some were on sale lately but felt it would be interesting to try some DIYing and to work with my hands for a change. My whole previous experience with speaker building is a pair of subwoofers that are now lying under the Duettas (and are not bad-sounding).

My problem, as usual, is my ignorance. I know nothing of the specifics of the Cassiopeias except for the physical measurements of the boxes and the usual specifications provided by Apogee (which can be found in the Apogee Acoustics site). I have an Apogee LCR (I think it is also called Perseus) which functions as the center channel speaker and like it very much. It is likely that the drivers are the same as the Cassiopeia's, but I do not know for sure. Anyhow, the original drivers would be impossible to get now, whatever they are. Therefore, I should select speakers that are available and adapt to the Apogee sound. In addition, and most importantly, I have no idea of the crossover's anatomy. So, here I am with an idea and an almost complete lack of data. I wonder if anybody can provide me with some advice and information. I suppose that it is also possible that another DIY speaker model that could match the Duettas would also work. If there is such a proven model I might go for it (although the Cassiopeias look really nice with their slanted side). Thanks in advance for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.