Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please help interpret my frequency response curve
Please help interpret my frequency response curve
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 01:51 AM   #1
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Please help interpret my frequency response curve

I've been playing with FFT on my iPhone and although I do have a measurement mic I've just been using the built in iPhone mic. (I still need to get an XLR adapter so I can plug my proper mic into the iPhone.)

Anyway, this is all new to me and was curious as to what my in-room response was like. This was taken at the listening position using pink noise and 1/3 octave. It seems to look pretty reasonable to me, but I'm no expert.

Please feel free to point out anything I'm overlooking. Are these dips and peaks cause for concern (especially at 125Hz)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (65.3 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by lowpoke; 24th March 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 24th March 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

The response looks quite good for an in room response, within +/- 3dB for the most part with a bit of bottom boost and HF drop.
The dip at 125 Hz is probably a room mode, try other measurement positions and it will probably change in frequency and amplitude.
Old 24th March 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
eric beek is offline eric beek  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

no way .low poke ,this is not possible ,the curve ,cause in the low region from 50 to 200 hertz, there will always be combfiltereffects ,due to room acoustics which can't be leveled out through acoustic panels for dampingarrangements,are you using dsp equalizers for correction?????
Old 24th March 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Soundtrackmixer is offline Soundtrackmixer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpoke View Post
I've been playing with FFT on my iPhone and although I do have a measurement mic I've just been using the built in iPhone mic. (I still need to get an XLR adapter so I can plug my proper mic into the iPhone.)

Anyway, this is all new to me and was curious as to what my in-room response was like. This was taken at the listening position using pink noise and 1/3 octave. It seems to look pretty reasonable to me, but I'm no expert.

Please feel free to point out anything I'm overlooking. Are these dips and peaks cause for concern (especially at 125Hz)?
I am personally going to say that 1/3 octave resolution is not nearly enough to tell you how much interaction is going on between your room and speakers. I use 1/48 octave resolution, as that will tell you in great detail how a room and speaker is interacting.
Old 25th March 2013, 04:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your feedback guys. Currently I am not using any room treatment, nor any DSP or equalisation. The software I'm using is only an iPhone app and it doesn't accommodate 1/48 octave resolution, but it will do 1/24th. I'll take some more measurements using the higher res and perhaps see how different positions affect the curve.

I'm happy with the way the system is sounding by the way, I was just curious to see what I'm hearing measured up.
Old 6th April 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK, it took me while to get the house to myself so I could take some more measurements. (The family doesn't appreciate pink noise ... )
Anyway, new graph with no smoothing. Initially there was looking like a little too much sub bass, but after I dialled the sub back a little, curve looks pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in_room_response.JPG (66.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by lowpoke; 6th April 2013 at 08:31 AM.
  Reply to this post

Please help interpret my frequency response curveHide this!Advertise here!