First Project: bookshelf w/vifas, 4th order Linkwitz-Riley

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm looking to build a pair of bookshelf speakers to replace my current set of B&W 302s. I like the old speakers, but have grown tired of them after several years and am looking to try something new, preferably for under 200 US (300 Canadian).

I have looked at a number of different kits / designs on the internet, and i like the design put forward here ('Esquire' speaker by Soctt C. Blaier):

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1015/

It calls for:

Vifa P13WH-00-08 woofer/midrange &
Vifa D27TG-45-06 one inch fabric dome tweeter

I can't find the second speaker listed anywhere, but I can find the:
Vifa D27TG-45-06.

Is there likely to be a large difference?

The crossover seems a bit more complex than other designs I've seen, but I have some experience with wiring.

It's a fourth order Linkwitz-Riley network at 3.0 kHz, which the designer maintains will give the best performance for this system.

Is anyone here familiar with this design? Is it likely to produce satisfying results, and would it be a good choice for a beginner?

Thanks,

-Dave

I have a set of speakers I have made with the exact drivers you have listed. I have a madisound designed crossover on them, and enjoy the sound very much. Vocals are sweet with these woofers.:)

They are in vented enclosures now, but they were in sealed boxes. Take a look at my web site on page 5 for the old boxes. www.sounddomain.com/id/onebadziggy

I like the vented box much better, and my crossover design is much simpler than the one for that design you have linked. I do not see the need for extra components in the system. I would have pictures of my new boxes up, but they are sitting in my basment with the shellac drying on them right now. I'll have pics in 1-2 days.

Any questions you have I will try to answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.