Mundorf supreme silver/oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello,

I checked this cap in a 3 way design of mine with Eton speakers.
I changed the Tweeter cap (was an SCR) to the Mundorf supreme oil/silver.
Never heard such a good cap before a tweeter (and I have checked many). The amount body and 3D without harshness is socking.

I used the .47 uf Supremes as coupling caps in my 300b mono blocks.
They are very nice.
I am in the process of putting together an order for my tweeter and midrange crossovers.
At about $300.00 for each speaker I am really hoping they do for the speakers what they have done for the amps.
Buying the Mundorf’s has ruined me for other caps. It would be nice if they went up higher than 10uf. 15 uf would be very nice, but very large I‘m sure.

In the future I will be using them anywhere I reasonably can.
For now...I scheme and plot... to acquire the 160 or so, 10 uf caps it would take to do my woofers over.

Currently I am busy making a sign that reads
"will work for capacitors".

Best Caps

Note not all cap are design for using in speakers. When selecting a cap for a speaker you should be looking for a cap capable of handing high currents. Polypropylene come with different film thickness and the thicker film being better for high current.

These are some of the best caps sold in the US.

TRT's DynamiCap: metallized capacitors Low current signal Cap
Reliable Capacitor: Polystyrene & Polypropylene Foil Makes: High Current and small signal.
Crescendo’s Polystyrene: Foil and Metallized High Current speakers and small signal.
Component Research Corporation, CRC Teflon & Polystyrene and Polypropylene Small signal
Hovland Film & Aluminum Foil Polypropylene High Current.
Sprague 735P: Polypropylene Tubes and Small Signal.

I have tryed all these cap and the are much better than the Wima's, Roderstien.

I just have not tried motor starter caps in speakers seems to strange, with their funky size poor lugs. I'll stay with quality film for signals

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
common grounds

Cheers guys,

It seems there is a reason they went so well in loudspeakers. They are designed and listened to with that in mind. They must have thick paper cause they can run @ 1200VDC. Very bulky too.
They got sweeter after a couple of days not to forget mentioning.

tom1356 said:
Buying the Mundorf’s has ruined me for other caps. It would be nice if they went up higher than 10uf. 15 uf would be very nice, but very large I‘m sure.

The standard/cheaper Mundorf supreme are availeble up to 22uf, at least in Norway. But the silver/oil doesn't go higher than 10uf.

I've used the Mcap supreme (not silver/oil) in my Seas Thor speakers, and I've experienced a big difference. All in all my speakers became better at all freq.

- Christer

ECI Standard Product

Tony Salsich,

For audio ECI make caps that are designed more for the switching power supplies. The METALLIZED POLYPROPYLENE should be ok, however you will not need such hi current caps for most audio designs. However, in might be interesting to replace the electrolytic caps in a tube amp with their high current high voltage polypropylene. Other applications would be transistor amps as bypass caps and maybe in speakers. Normally switch mode power supply caps have very low ESR and good high frequency performance.

Having said that, stay away from the polycarbonate and the polyester caps for any signal applications. The polycarbonates are hydro-microscopic and they will soak up moisture and become a problem.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

However, in might be interesting to replace the electrolytic caps in a tube amp with their high current high voltage polypropylene.

Conrad-Johnson has been doing that in their preamps for more than 10 years.

The polycarbonates are hydro-microscopic and they will soak up moisture and become a problem.

Sure about that?
If so I'd rather not live in a humid country and have a large CD collection....:xeye:

Cheers,;)

Frank,

If so I'd rather not live in a humid country and have a large CD collection

The polycarbonate caps are spiral wound unlike a CD, if the cap end get open, even with super small gaps they will soak up moisture. It’s just a problem with polycarbonate material. In the past, I have had to toss out thousands of dollars worth of these caps when the ends were not sealed perfectly. At the time, I was designing filters and amps for the Seismic industry in Houston TX, high moisture area.

You could bridge them when new and they be fine, but after they went into the temp cycle in the temp chamber the went to hell. The THD and non linearity’s increased severely. I don't see this applyies to CD's.

:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hey, Jim,

In the past, I have had to toss out thousands of dollars worth of these caps when the ends were not sealed perfectly. At the time, I was designing filters and amps for the Seismic industry in Houston TX, high moisture area.

O.K., but this is a severe manufacturing fault.

While I certainly agree that polycarbonate is more hygroscopic than, say, polypropylene, I 've never heard of this fault condition
in audio gear.

Polycarbonate caps are still manufactured worldwide and I know quite a few audio designer that use alot of them because they prefer the way they sound.

Cheers,;)

Frank,

Yes most of the problems we could associate to the manufacturing process of F-Dyne Capacitors. However it's is still a problems with associated to polycarb material. Therefore, they only way we were fining these problems before they went to the field were by using the temperature chamber.

The Seismic systems would automatically run an impulse test, getting FFT of the system's analog performance before it would collect start to data. So, having this type of failure in the field is just not acceptable in the Seismic industry when the cost or extreme and the equipment costs extreme.

Armed with this info I take no chances on polycarbs. The only reason we used these caps is because of their size and performance. There performance is OK it not up to the better film caps. Anyway, I would not use them in audio.

;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Polycarbonate caps are still manufactured worldwide and I know quite a few audio designer that use alot of them because they prefer the way they sound.

Sorry Frank but that is not true. Production is scarce. I agree 100 % about the soundquality. There is nothing wrong with quality manufactured MKC.

It will be a problem obtaining polycarbs because the film is becoming obsolete. Also Styroflex is not produced for the ones that weren't aware ( environmental and heatresistance reasons ).

This is what Wima says about polycarbonate:

After the discontinuation of polycarbonate (PC) film as a capacitor dielectric by the only manufacturer, Bayer AG/Germany, we have removed all the series using this capacitor film from our range of products.
At the same time, we have been able to replenish the stocks in our factory warehouses for the last time, in order to meet demands for a limited transitional period. Requirements, which can be met from our existing stocks of film, can be discussed from case to case on request.

Ero polycarbonate sounded right to my ears and they didn't fail. They were of course encapsulated in resin as most quality film caps. Polycarbonate caps are better than MKT ( polyester ) and less good than MKP ( polypropylene ). MKT's are smaller than polycarbonate ( MKC ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.