Flying with drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps this is an odd question, but here goes...

I'd like to buy some replacement tweeters for speakers I have in the UK. The easiest way is to obtain something in the USA before I next return. However, I am concerned that there will be an issue somehow in flying with "weird" electronic components or big magnets in my bags. I fear that they would be refused from carry-on baggage, or possibly raise some alarm if placed in checked bags.

Does anyone have thoughts or experience regarding this?

Thanks,

Ed

Not international travel, but in US domestic travel in 2011, a pair of 5 inch single drivers in my carry on did not cause a question. On the return trip however, I decided to put them in my checked luggage. The drivers were basically face down in an original box, with some stuffing on the magnet side to keep them from moving or rattling around in the box. The TSA luggage inspector opened and removed one of the drivers, and when reboxing, put all the stuffing under the cone resulting in a wrinkled cone.

It's true that aeroplanes can have issues with magnetic items but it's usually light jobs. Airliners don't use magnetic compasses. Working as I do in the meteorology field, one thing I know all aircraft users dislike intensely is mercury- if it gets loose it can pool at the bottom of the fuselage and eat a hole through it.

I once lived on a remote island- with very expensive electricity. In the early days of "energy saver" light globes, I refused to pay $28-32 each for them on the island so bought up big on a trip off-island. Naturally, to preserve from baggage handlers them I took them back in carry-on luggage, at the security screening, the guy sitting behind the X-ray machine said "where do you live sir?" When I told him, he just smiled and waved me on.

*Old* Airline regulations used to include "Magnetic materials" in a list of restricted (not "forbidden") items where you had to ask.
But nowadays they are not even mentioned , the main concern is Security related stuff.
Just checked United/Delta/American, none complains.
British Airways is more complicated but, hey, that's not news ;)

Even in the period when security theater really emerged (late 2001-2004) I regularly made trans-Atlantic flights with drive units inside suitcases in their factory packaging (no shielding, etc.), ranging in size from Aura Whispers to Peerless XLS12's. Never once was it made an issue.

Now, if things are different, it might be only because airlines have so lowered the size and mass allowances for baggage. ("Back in the day," two bags of ~35kg each were just fine, even on the cheapest-fare coach seat.) On the last international flight I took, earlier this month, the airline (Etihad) actually weighed hand luggage. For both coach and business classes.

OK this is old old old, but I wanted to post the conclusion to the thread. My speakers in the UK are now happy with their new tweeters. Mrs H kindly offered to take them when she made an impromptu trip, travelling light. There was no difficulty taking them in hand luggage whatsoever on this occasion.

I fitted the drivers whilst visiting last week, and had a very pleaseant listening session. Never heard Morel components before but this tweeter (MD30 If I recall correctly) is a real beauty.

Cheers

Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.