Amazing philips speakers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These speakers http://static.thingfling.com/ImageResizeCache/c9571793b88bc76de9410ac19f77fd2e.jpg
The website says the have 80 watts to power them with..
But I don't believe that for one second... I easily nearly over power them with a 5 watt chip amp that I built.. Huge excursion with these speakers... Easily drives them with a clean signal and no distortion AT ALL
seriously clear sounding..
And darn good bass too.. If they really handle 80 watts... Then My home made chip amp must be putting out a lot a lot of RMS power to drive them so well..

They are completely unmodified..
I only unplugged one speaker from the rear of the other main speaker and plugged it into the power jack that comes from my chip amp cardboard box..
It works so amazingly outstanding sound quality I would give these speakers a 10 star rating if I were to buy them again. (they were borrowed from a friend and I'm returning them soon)
And I'm just saying this again... I have no modified them in any way whatsoever..
It really does take far less than 10 watts of power to drive these speakers to their maximum potential.. Anymore power and I think they might end up in the trash..
The original power supply put out more power than these speakers could handle... so when I give the speakers back I'll make sure to tell him to be careful with the volume control (its on the side of the right speaker)
And again... The speakers were NOT modified when I tested them with my 5 watt chip amp!!
Wires are completely intact.. nothing has been touched.. I really like the speakers and don't want to ruin them

philips mms321
search it on google you'll find a lot
they handle 5 watts just absolutely perfectly... near perfection..
if not really perfect..
If I had two of these speakers... (both with seperate headphone jack-like cables) And two seperate chip amps powering each speaker individually.. And in a stereo setup left and right channel.
Wow that would be astonishing..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The specs say the built in (chip amp) amp puts out 20 watts rms. Why would you want to power it with your own 5 watt chip amp? I would believe Phillips' spec but that value means distortion probably something serious. The reviews by people using them as pc speakers are mostly very positive. They are too expensive to use as basis of stripping for parts. A similar speaker is the Logitech X140 which really only has 5 watts and retails for $30. So what are you suggesting these speakers be used for from a diy standpoint?

That's not what I meant by powering them..
I meant I powered the speakers directly with the 5 watt chip amp..
Not powering the full speaker set!
20 watts rms is way too much for these speakers..
If I already nearly overpower them with a 5 watt tv chip amp with a clean signal.. 20 watts rms is far too much from what I believe.
And These speakers are really really good.. They sound amazing.. And they only hit low frequencies if I use my special 5 watt chip amp directly powering the speakers..
The original built in amp doesnt hit lower than 30hz
overall I'm planning on buying this set of speakers for myself! I may do that sometime in the future soon... because I really like these speakers a lot.. not that I would marry them..
but they sound pretty amazing in person!! even just one speaker has incredible bass..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.