crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am just coming to the end of my first diy build.

Boxes are finished and the varnish is drying as i type.

They are 50L boxes housing Jordan jx150's and jxr6hd.

I am housing the crossover in an integrated stand except for the bass inductor which will live in the speaker.

My question regards the best way to point to point wire everything together?

I was going to join everything that runs to ground at the -'ve binding post. Is this the best way to do it or should i run a common earth wire to a seperate grounding point.

Also the jx150 has a dual voice coil, what is the best way to join them up in parallel?
jump from the speaker terninals themselves or run double runs of cable from the crossover?

Hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance.

ok, you are a novice, let me elaborate a bit ;-)
i checked it out and it turns out that the high-frequency drivers are actually 4-5 ohm units instead of 8, to keep the record straight. strictly speaking, there is always some interaction depending on the quality of the wire used. if you don't mind the trouble and the slight expense you can use thick multiple-stranded wire and twist it yourself (or braid it in separate pairs) to minimize the self inductance for the jxr6hd. careful of the polarity of the speakers for proper phase excitation.you may use separate wire pairs for the speakers if you insist for the returning grounding point ie, if you are to use separate returns for ground do not do it just for ground but instead use separate wire pairs for every speaker from the crossover to the speaker. it may be hard to convey this info without a schematic/figure since you are a novice.
i hope was clear.

Hi ,
to be complete ...
The coil placed near the woofer may have its
place near the amplifier ,instead .
So the damping factor of the amp would be better :confused::rolleyes:
:scratch:
The power delivered to the speaker would go trough the cable ,then the coil with its Ra ( added ) and then to the speaker .
If the coil is placed right after the amplifier , then Ra would be also wire's resistance , which might be useful in some cases .:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.