Yamaha HS80m Mod Help~

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Experts,

I've been using my Yamaha HS80m for 3 years and I'm pretty happy with it but like anything I'm sure it can improve. So instead of replacing it with something more expensive, I was hoping I can do a simple mod to it and have like 2 ~ 7% improvement and I'll be happy.

Specifically I think the high end could be slightly less harsh. Also if it can give me little more detail.

Anyways I'm going to replace all electrolytic caps to Elna Silmic II, Nichicon and Wima film caps where possible.

Also I wanted to swap all six 4558 op-amps it has.

So can any of you experts recommend me a great op-amp that can replace it's 4558s without any artifacts? I heard that just b/c the pins match, one should not just go replacing op-amps since the surrounding electronics has to be altered to support that particular op-amp...

But there must be a good replacement op-amps for the 4558s without too much risk :)
So if any of you know any or have recommendations I would really appreciate them.

Thanks!!!

ps: I was thinking about swapping the 4558s with the LME49723s.
Also Im attaching the schematics of the input section of the Yamaha HS80m.

Attachments

• YamahaHS80m_Input_Schems.jpg
    YamahaHS80m_Input_Schems.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Hi Experts,

I've been using my Yamaha HS80m for 3 years and I'm pretty happy
with it but like anything I'm sure it can improve. So instead of replacing
it with something more expensive, I was hoping I can do a simple mod
to it and have like 2 ~ 7% improvement and I'll be happy.

Hi,

You could try playing with HIGH TRIM and MID EQ to get those
2-7 % sound improvement. I don't think there is much sense to
change the passives and chips, especially if they are in good working
condition, but this tweaking is up to you. If you're going to find your
peace, then by all means, take "all" the stuff out and install the best
money can buy. :)

Yeah I tried fiddling with the EQs on the back but -2dB of high made it warmer but it also lost some details so that's not a solution for me.

Maybe I'll just swap the electrolytic caps first and see if that helps a little.

Anyone with recommendations for a good replacement op-amp in this circuit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.