Reference recordings and their reproduction in various environments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As advised, I have fine-tuned the original topic into somewhat that I hope is more palatable to the powers that be. Moving on:

I would like to propose that we collectively select a variety of well-recorded songs, or sound files in general, for the purpose of determining what is common and not common to the varieties of speakers and listening environments that we have at hand. Specifically, I am interested in how different polar responses and room setups can affect/effect imaging, soundstage (inside/outside the speakers), change in effect based on differing listening position, etc.

The inspiration for this thread came to me both from many of the posts in the now-off-kilter "disappearing act" thread, and from browsing Linkwitz's demo CD page here:

Sound Picture CD

We can certainly use this collection as a starting reference but I should advise that public domain or low-cost recordings be given preference for selection. Does anybody have any suggestions for worthy recordings?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Very interested in titles with specific praise and criticism of their parts. Knowing how much recordings vary it is hard to be confident about a reference (hence this thread, I guess) and I'm reticent about being the first to offer up titles.

I would add that I don't buy the idea that a reference title is the one that displays spectacular clarity. If there's one thing I'd like references to offer it is tonal quality, followed by spatial characteristics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.